Merit Scholarship

COM scholarship awards are merit-based on academic promise and the availability of funds. The majority of COM scholarship is awarded during the admission process. All full-time students who apply for admission are automatically considered for COM merit-based scholarships.


All full-time students who apply for admission are also automatically considered for some COM assistantships. COM assistantships may include teaching, research, grading or other employment opportunities at the college. Individual departmental and faculty requirements determine graduate assistantships. Any enrolled student informed of an assistantship opportunity in their admission letter will be assigned a specific role/position over the summer.

Please be aware that additional assistantship opportunities do become available at the start of the fall semester and throughout the school year. All enrolled students are informed of assistantship opportunities through the COM Graduate Newsletter emailed twice per month.

Students who are not awarded an assistantship in their admission letter can apply for assistantships as positions become available.

There are other on-campus employment options available to enrolled students through Boston University’s Student Employment Office and the Fitness and Recreation Center.

Questions regarding assistantships can be directed to

* Graduate students at BU are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week of University employment. Generally, international students on an F-1 visa are limited to 20 hours per week, but international students should check with ISSO for specific regulations. Though a student may hold more than one assistantship in COM, the number of total weekly hours may not exceed 20 across all University employment.
* Assistantships are paid by a pre-set semester stipend. Students receive a pay check each Friday. Assistantships are on-campus employment and are not tuition remission.

Financial Information

Available funds do not allow us to provide assistance to all graduate students; however, most receive partial support and avail themselves of the various loan programs to further finance their education. The University and the College of Communication assume that all students will contribute financially to their graduate education.

Eligibility for some types of assistance is determined by documented financial need. For current interest rates and loan fees, please visit the US Department of Education website. In order to be considered for any federal aid (including Work-Study and loans) you must submit a Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA). You may apply online at

Federal Stafford Loan

(Fall and/or Spring)

  • Complete the Stafford Loan Processing Form. Please email this form to, or mail to: COM Graduate Affairs, 640 Commonwealth Ave, Room 130, Boston, MA 02215.
  • Make sure you fill out the FAFSA at before applying for any federal loans.

Summer Loans

  • Complete the Summer Stafford Loan Fact Sheet and Application. Please note that students must turn this form into COM Graduate Affairs, Room 130 after they register for summer classes. Students must register for at least 6 academic credits over the course of the summer in order to be eligible. Summer borrowing may impact the amount of Stafford Loan you are eligible for in future semesters within the academic year.
  • Private loan applications (including the Federal PLUS loan application) will become available in July. We will contact students to let them know when it is appropriate to apply for these particular loans.