City Planning and Urban Affairs
Graduate Degree Application Process

How Do I Apply?

Graduate Admissions Committees meet on an ongoing basis. Admission is normally granted for September, January, and May of each year.
You may apply online or by mailing your application materials directly to the department.

Apply Online Complete our online application to apply today.

A complete application for admission must include:

  1. A completed Application for Graduate Admission form
  2. Three letters of recommendation, one of which should be an academic reference
  3. A self-evaluation (short essay discussing your motivation for study)
  4. A current résumé
  5. Official transcript(s) from each college and graduate school attended
  6. A nonrefundable $70 application fee. (Please make check payable to Boston University.)

International Applicants
To allow for processing time, applicants requiring student visas must have application materials and International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) forms completed at least six weeks prior to the start of the semester.

International applicants must submit the following materials:

  1. Score from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The TOEFL Code for BU City Planning/Urban Affairs is 9034
  2. International Student Data Form.
  3. Authorized financial statement from a bank (original, shown in U.S. dollars).
  4. Copy of current I-20 and I-94, both sides (if applicable).
  5. Letter of financial support from sponsor (firm, government, parents, etc.).
  6. Notarized English translations of all documents not in English.
    In certain cases, the Admissions Committee may request an applicant to submit official scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT).

International Student Application Process

International students can follow this link to apply for a graduate degree program

International applicants who wish to apply for undergraduate programs must submit the following materials in addition to the application requirements:

  1. Score from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) taken within the previous two years. For current information on the TOEFL examination, please visit
    Note: The minimum score required for the MCP or MUA is 100 in the iBT TOEFL.  Students have to score a minimum of 25 point in each of the main exam categories:  Writing, Speaking, Reading  Listening.
  2. Official high school and college transcripts, with official translations and evaluations. Visit one of these sites for more information:
    World Education Services
    Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
  3. Authorized financial statement from a bank (original, shown in U.S. dollars)
  4. Letter of financial support from sponsor (firm, government, parents, etc.)
  5. International Student Data Form
  6. Copy of current Forms I-20 and I-94, both sides (if applicable)
  7. Official English translations of all documents not in English
  8. Undergraduate Transfer Student Status Report Form

Express Enrollment for Non-Degree or Returning Students

Getting started at Boston University Metropolitan College is easy. Whether you’re a new student or a returning student, you can use the links below to get your education underway.

"I'm a new student and I just want to take a class."
Great! It couldn’t be easier to get started—no transcripts or test scores are needed. Now you can register online! Or, if you prefer, download and fill out a paper registration form.

"I'm a returning student and want to register for classes."
Welcome back!