An Extension of the Classroom
Our garden space, like our playground, is an extension of our classrooms, and we are always excited about the learning and exploration that takes place there.
- We are collaborating with Green City Growers, who are working with us to create a plan for planting and caring for our new garden.
- They will also offer continuing education and support for the children and teachers throughout the year when we take on the responsibility of watering, weeding, and harvesting our garden.
- Click here to see our Green City Growers program page and to view video logs from our farmer!
All Children Participate in the Garden
In addition to learning how to care for our garden, the children explore the lifecycles of the plants.
- Infants and young toddlers will spend time in the garden.
- They will explore the sights, smells, textures, and tastes of the plants we are growing.
- Toddlers and preschoolers will observe plants in the garden as they grow.
- They will measure plants over time
- Draw pictures of the plants as they change
- Look for insects and worms in the soil with magnifying glasses
A Treat for All the Senses!
We will grow plants that we can use in various ways.
- Children will plant herbs and explore how they smell.
- They will plant flowers and discuss the different parts of the flowers.
- We will also grow produce that we can pick, wash, and prepare to eat in our classrooms.