As part of BU’s September 2012 annual alumni weekend celebrations, the Department of Chemistry invited four distinguished alumni to describe some highlights of their varied careers in science and technology and how their BU education launched them on these career paths. The speakers ranged in fields (theoretical chemistry to organic chemistry to physical chemistry) and careers (academia, entrepreneurship, law, industry) and BU educational experiences (undergraduate to Ph.D.). The symposium proved to be both practical in terms of career advice and touching in the tribute speakers paid to their advisors, and demonstrated the substantial impact that their BU Chemistry training had in helping to shape these successful careers. The photo shows the speakers with their advisors: Dr. Victor Battista, GRS ’96, now Professor of Chemistry at Yale, with Prof. John Straub (standing in for Victor’s advisor, David Coker); Dr. Les Dakin, GRS ’03, now scientist at Constellation Pharmaceuticals with advisor, Jim Panek; Dr. Jack Driscoll, GRS ’67, founder of HNU PID with advisor Professor Emeritus, Morton Hoffman; and Dr. Matt Zisk, CAS ’85, now partner and patent counsel at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP & Affiliates with advisor, Professor Emeritus Gil Jones.
The Boston University Center for Chemical Methodology & Library Development (CMLD) will host their 12th Annual Symposium, Chemical Synthesis: Advances and Applications, on Friday, June 24th, 2011 at the Boston University Photonics Center.
The speakers are:
- Professor Jef K. DeBrabander, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Natural Products: An Opportunity for Discovery
- Professor Wilfred A. van der Donk, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Post-translational Modifications in Natural Product Biosynthesis
- Doctor Deborah T. Hung, Harvard Medical School
- Chemical Biological Approaches to Tuberculosis
- Professor Erik J. Sorensen, Princeton University
- Design and Synthesis of Molecular Scaffolds with Anti-Infective Activity
See the CMLD’s website for the schedule and how to register to attend: