All weddings in the Chapel must be of a religious nature; therefore, civil ceremonies involving a Justice of the Peace are not permitted. The officiant must be ordained, authorized to perform weddings, and active in leadership within an established religious community.

Marsh Chapel Dean or University Chaplain

If you would like the Dean of Marsh Chapel to officiate your wedding, please contact him directly to check his availability. Dean Robert Hill can be reached at 617-358-3394 or at The honorarium for the services of the Dean of Marsh Chapel or other University Chaplains is $500.00. This fees must be paid by check, money order, or cash six business days before your wedding rehearsal. Marsh Chapel cannot accept credit cards.

The Dean of Marsh Chapel reserves the right to preside at all weddings held at Marsh Chapel, except for Roman Catholic weddings. The Dean may assign another University Chaplain to preside if he is unavailable.

Occasionally, when the Dean is scheduled to officiate at a wedding, he can be unexpectedly called away due to a pastoral emergency, family responsibility, University obligation, personal issue or other matter. In such cases, Marsh Chapel will provide another clergy person in his absence.

If you would like for the Dean of the Chapel to officiate your wedding, please contact him directly to check his availability. Dean Robert Hill can be reached at 617-358-3394 or at

The Dean of Marsh Chapel, as well as the other University Chaplains, require appointments for pre-marital conversation once they commit themselves to conducting the ceremony. These meetings will begin once the commitment has been made. Depending on your officiant, there may be 1 to 4 meetings required for adequate preparation for the ceremony.

Roman Catholic

For Roman Catholic weddings, a confirmation by Marsh Chapel does not guarantee participation by Roman Catholic clergy. Arrangements (preparation and commitment by clergy) must be made separately and before the chapel is reserved. For more information about Catholic weddings, please see visit the link for requirements for Catholic weddings.

Outside Clergy

Outside clergy are only permitted with the Dean’s permission, and should be discussed with a wedding director before submitting a wedding application (Step 3). To apply, please request an Outside Clergy Application Form by emailing Outside clergy will need to bring their own vestments, communion vessels, bread, wine, and books. It is the couple’s responsibility to advise the clergy person of this necessity.


The couple must meet all the requirements of the Commonwealth and supply the officiating clergy with their Marriage License. The couple must bring the license to the Chapel at the time of the wedding rehearsal.

Officiating clergy who are not residents of Massachusetts need to contact the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, Commissions Section at (617) 727-2836, regarding requirements for out-of-state clergy who are conducting weddings in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or visit the MA Gov website on the Procedure to Perform (Solemnize)Marriages for Nonresident Clergy Member

Roman Catholics intending to be married in the Chapel should refer to the enclosed set of requirements for Catholic weddings.