October 18-20, 2013 Parent's Weekend is an opportunity for students to showcase to...
Funerals and Memorial Services
Marsh Chapel regularly provides space and leadership for memorial services and funerals. Many of these services are for Boston University faculty, staff and alumni, and for their families. The Chapel staff is honored to support families in planning and arranging such services. We are committed to doing our best in providing excellent hospitality, especially during the challenging and meaningful hours involved in preparing memorial and funeral services.
Current Chapel protocols for memorial and funeral services include the following:
- After talking with Mr. Ray Bouchard, Chapel Director about times and dates, you will want to set a meeting with the Dean as soon as possible, to begin the process of preparation.
- The Chapel is open to religious services of many kinds. We are ecumenical, inter-religious, and interdenominational in our ministry,
- There is no charge for the provision of religious memorial services and funerals for persons related to the Boston University community. Honoraria for musicians and costs for refreshments, however, are normal, and should be discussed with the Director of Music and\or the Chapel director. (We will, of course, regularly and gratefully receive any donations to support the ongoing ministry of the chapel to the community.)
- Either the Dean or one of the chaplains, or someone otherwise selected by the family, should be designated as the leader for the service, in consultation with the Dean.
- Music in the Chapel is under the guidance of Scott Allen Jarrett, and any music used in the chapel is at his discretion, in accordance with the history and practices of Marsh Chapel. Please speak directly to Scott in the course of your preparations.
- If a worship program is desired, the family normally produces this, in consultation with the leader of the service.
- Issues related to parking (available especially on weekends), communications with the University community, handicap access (chair lift available), and other logistical interests can be addressed to the Chapel Director.
- Ongoing pastoral care in the process of grieving is available in several forms, through the Chapel. In addition, Boston University provides several related services for personal health. The Dean or one the chaplains will be happy to talk with you about these services.
- Finally, any questions not addressed above, or any concerns that arise in the process of preparing these services, can and should be raised directly with the Dean. Please do not hesitate to call. We are here for this purpose, and seek to aid you as well as we can.
|The Rev. Dr. Robert Allan Hill, Dean||617-358-3394|
|Mr. Ray Bouchard, Chapel Director||617-353-3560|
|Scott Allen Jarrett, Director of Music||617-353-3560|