All weddings in the Chapel must be of a religious nature; therefore, civil ceremonies involving a Justice of the Peace are not permitted. The officiant must be ordained and active in leadership within an established religious community.

The Dean of the Chapel reserves the right to preside at weddings, except for Roman Catholic weddings arranged through the Newman Center. The Dean may assign another University Chaplain to preside if he is unavailable.

Occasionally when the Dean is scheduled to officiate at a wedding, he can be unexpectedly called away due to a pastoral emergency, family responsibility, University obligation, personal issue or other matter.  In such cases, the Chapel will be glad to provide another clergy person in his absence.

If you would like for the Dean of the Chapel to officiate your wedding, please contact him directly to check his availability. Dean Robert Hill can be reached at 617-358-3394 or at

For Roman Catholic weddings, a confirmation by Marsh Chapel does not guarantee participation by Roman Catholic clergy. Arrangements (preparation and commitment by clergy) must be made separately and before the chapel is reserved. For more information about Catholic weddings, please see the enclosed set of requirements for Catholic weddings.

Outside clergy are only permitted with the Dean’s permission, and must be approved before confirming the date of your wedding.

The Dean of the Chapel, as well as the other University Chaplains, require appointments for pre-marital conversation once they commit themselves to conducting the ceremony. These meetings will begin once the commitment has been made. Depending on your officiant, there may be 1 to 4 meetings required for adequate preparation for the ceremony.



The honorarium for the services of the Dean of Marsh Chapel or other University Chaplains is $500.



The couple must meet all the requirements of the Commonwealth and supply the officiating clergy with the Marriage License. It is wise to bring the license to the Chapel at the time of the rehearsal or earlier. If permitted by the Dean, officiating clergy who are not residents of Massachusetts need to contact the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, Commissions Section at (617) 727-2836, regarding requirements for out-of-state clergy who are conducting weddings in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Roman Catholics intending to be married in the Chapel should refer to the enclosed set of requirements for Catholic weddings.