Make an Academic Advising Appointment
Want to make an appointment with your Academic Advisor? Use our AdvisorTrac system to set up a time to meet. Follow the instructions below for help on using AdvisorTrac.
Type https://cgs-atr.bu.edu into your web browser to get to the landing page of the AdvisorTrac site, which will look like the screenshot below. Note that you must type in the full address. Bookmark this link for future use!
First Log In
- Enter your BU login (the first part of your BU email, which is also your AdvisorTrac username). For example: SSmith@bu.edu would have the username SSmith.
- Enter your BUID as your Password, including the capital U, no dashes, no spaces.
- The Confirm Bio screen should pop up as soon as you log in. (If it does not, select Confirm Bio from the left-hand menu.) You only need to do this on your first log in.
- Change your password to something that you will remember. (We recommend using your BU login and Kerberos password.)
- Fill in all of your information. (Your BUID and name should be completed for you at the top of the page.) You do not need to enter information for “Other ID”, “Handle” or “Work”.
- Click Confirm when finished, to save your information. Click the right-hand corner X to close the screen.
Schedule an Appointment
- After logging into AdvisorTrac, to search for available appointment times, click Search Availability on the left-hand menu.
- First, select CGS Advising Appointments from the left-hand pull-down menu under Search Criteria. This will bring up your search options.
- Next, you must select your academic advisor from the consultant pull-down menu. To confirm your CGS academic advisor, visit the StudentLink at bu.edu/studentlink > Academic tab > Academic Advising.
- If you have not been assigned an academic advisor, please call the CGS Student Services office at 617-353-2850 for assistance.
- Click Search to find any available times. You may limit your search criteria to specific days and/or times if you wish.
- Symbol 1: Available appointments will be listed in green in the center of the screen. Click on your chosen appointment time slot to schedule the appointment.
- Symbol 2: If appointments are listed in light teal, you may not sign up for a specific time in that block, but may visit the advisor’s office during that time for “drop-in” hours. This will be on a first come, first served basis.
- If no appointments are available, you will be prompted to call the CGS Student Services office for assistance.
- Once you’ve selected an appointment time, the Appointments Entry box will appear.
- Select a Reason for the appointment from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your Cell Phone number.
- Enter your CGS Team in the Notes field, if you have one.
- If you are not on campus and are setting up a phone appointment, please say so in the Notes field. You will receive the advisor’s phone number in a confirmation email. Please call the advisor at the time of the appointment.
- (You may also include a specific note about your visit, but this is not required.)
- Please note the Office Location for your appointment, listed on the right-hand side.
- Click Save to schedule the appointment. (Click the X if you do not wish to schedule the appointment.)
- After you have saved the appointment, you will receive a confirmation email. Please review the email to confirm the date, time and location of your appointment.
Cancel an Appointment
- After logging into AdvisorTrac, you will see your upcoming appointments on the main menu screen.
- Click the X listed next to the appointment you wish to cancel and confirm cancellation on the pop-up screen.
- You may list the reason for your cancellation if you wish, but it is not required.
- You will receive an email confirming that the appointment has been cancelled. You will also receive a cancellation email if your advisor cancels your appointment for any reason.
- If you must cancel an appointment at the last minute (within three hours of the appointment,) you may not cancel on AdvisorTrac. Instead, you must call the CGS Student Services office: 617-353-2850