Meet the Students of CGS: Candice Shadgoo

Candice Shadgoo

College of General Studies: 2015                                                                                                                                             Sargent School of Health: 2017                                                                                                                                               Major: Physical Therapy

What was your favorite College of General Studies class?

“Social Science 202, which I took the spring of my sophomore year. I am a science major, so writing and International Relations isn’t necessarily my strong suit. When I started the class I was apprehensive but my professor, Professor Whalen, made the class so fun, so engaging, so relatable. He wasn’t just talking at you. He would ask you what you thought about the topics.”

What value did the College of General Studies provide to your education?

“I definitely think it made me a better writer and critical thinker. I spent a lot of time working with my rhetoric professor, and as a result I have become a stronger and more effective writer. So now when my Sargent professors ask us to write a 5 page paper on the health system, I feel more than capable.”

How did the Boston-London Program help you gain a global perspective?

“I’ve been to London with my family but it’s really different when you’re visiting as a tourist rather than living there and immersing yourself in the culture. It was so different and I came back a completely different person. I met so many British people and they taught me all about their education and health systems. It’s so interesting to see how a country that people would normally think is so similar is actually so different from the United States.”

What activities around campus are you involved in?

“I am in the community service co-ed frat Alpha Phi Omega (APO). I really like the sense of comradery I get from APO. We’re all there for a common purpose to help others. I am also on the eboard for the Chabad House, where I work to coordinate all the events and develop student outreach. Chabad helps me get in touch with my Jewish heritage as well as share it with others.”

What’s something people wouldn’t know about you?

“I can speak four languages fluently: English, Spanish, Hebrew and Farsi.”