W-4 Form Instructions for Non-Resident Aliens
- Boxes 1, 2, and 4: Complete per Form W-4 instructions
- Box 1: First Name and Middle initial, Last Name, and Home Address
- Box 2: Social Security Number
- Box 4: Only Check this box if your last name does not match the name on your
social security card.
- Box 3: Claim “single”, regardless of actual marital status
- Line 5: Claim only “one” allowance [Note: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) does not allow Non-Resident Aliens to claim any more than one allowance]
- Line 6: Write “NRA” on the dotted line (if you would like you can request to have an additional amount withheld from your pay)
- Line 7: Leave this box blank, a nonresident alien cannot claim an exemption on this form, if there is a treaty between your country of citizenship and the US then please apply with the payroll office to tax treaty exemption
- Sign and date the form.
To view the IRS instructions on how to fill out the W-4 please visit
If you have any questions about your classification as a nonresident alien, please contact the Payroll Office at (617) 353- 2270.