How to Apply
The application deadline for the 2017 VASI program was March 1st. Admission decisions will be sent to applicants via email in mid-March.
To receive notification when the application opens for the 2018 VASI program, please join the VASI mailing list.
The application to VASI includes the following:
- Online Application
- A brief essay submitted with the online application
- $75 application fee, paid by check made payable to Boston University
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or someone who has supervised the applicant in art-related activities or in other academic work
- For scholarship information, please see the Tuition page
Application fees and letters of recommendation should be mailed to:
Boston University School of Visual Arts
Visual Arts Summer Institute
855 Commonwealth Ave Room 552
Boston, MA 02215
Applications are not considered complete until all parts of the application, including the application fee and letter of recommendation, are received.
International students are not required to provide any special paperwork or documentation to apply to VASI. Students requiring a visa for travel to the United States are able to attend VASI on a tourist/visitor visa. For travel and identification purposes, international students should carry both their passport and visa with them while traveling and during their stay in Boston.
English proficiency test results are not required for VASI, but it is expected that students have a high degree of competency in order to participate fully in the program. All classes and critiques are conducted in English. For reference, most academic programs at Boston University expect students to have English proficiency levels equivalent to:
- 84-90 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT)
- 7 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
If you have any questions about the VASI program, please contact us at:
617 353 3371