Above: Work from the Scenic Painting Artisan Certificate Program
Scenic Painting Artisan Certificate
The School of Theatre offers a two-year certificate program providing skill and craft courses for theatre artisans and technicians seeking career, entry-level training.
- 2-year intensive master class education led by Diane Fargo
- Professional apprenticeship with Huntington Theatre Company, in residence at Boston University
- Hands-on production work and courses in Scene Painting, History of Architecture and Décor, Set Design, Color and Design in Light, Fabric Dyeing, Figure Drawing, and Hand Drafting
- Classes are held primarily at the Boston University Theatre on Huntington Avenue within walking distance of Copley Square, the Boston Public Library, the Museum of Fine Arts, Symphony Hall, the Theatre District, and Boston Common.
- Students who complete the program will have a strong foundation in the craft as well as enough practical experience to graduate with a strong, substantial portfolio and résumé.
Program of Study (PDF)
Scene Painting Project Gallery (coming soon)
Applicants must follow the admission procedure for graduate admission.
For additional information or to inquire about Artisan Certificates in Electrics, Costume Crafts, Properties, or Carpentry, contact Jon Savage.
Los Angeles Post-Graduate Program
Following graduation from the School of Theatre, students are encouraged to participate in one of Boston University’s unique post-graduate programs, including Acting in Hollywood and Writing in Hollywood, designed to introduce recent graduates to the Los Angeles television and film industry. For more information, please visit the Los Angeles Internship Programs page. (Program Gainful Employment Disclosure)