BU Professional Theatre Initiative (PTI)
The Boston University Professional Theatre Initiative (PTI) reflects our belief in the necessity of strong artistic relationships with the theatre profession. PTI provides opportunities for stimulating, creative interactions between participating theatres and the BU School of Theatre community. Our hopes for the future are nothing short of creating models or producing relationships that deepen the educational experience, providing a special path for professional experimentation, and creating new possibilities for the creation of new plays for the theatre. Many of our students, faculty and alumni are linked with a variety of professional theatres of many kinds, sizes, and missions to provide experience and interaction that serve both the participant and the theatre company itself.
Our long history of association with the Huntington Theatre Company, in residence at Boston University for its entire quarter century of existence, is proof of this long-held belief. In recent years, theatres as varied as the Olney Theatre Center, National Players, Potomac Theatre Project, Vineyard Playhouse, Boston Playwrights’ Theatre, Williamstown Theatre Festival, Actors’ Shakespeare Project, Pendragon Theatre, among others, have joined this Initiative. Project based interactions have been successfully forged with theatres such as the Guthrie Theater, Woolly Mammoth Theatre, Primary Stages, and the Arden Theatre. In 2012, School of Theatre Director Jim Petosa was named Artistic Director of PTI member New Repertory Theatre.
Often, PTI member theatres provide professional opportunities in acting, directing, and design and/or career development opportunities through internships. In some cases, our interactions with these companies result in new play development and opportunities to conceive new approaches to existent works.
Core PTI Partners
- Huntington Theatre Company, Boston, MA
- Actors’ Shakespeare Project, Boston, MA
- Boston Playwrights’ Theatre
- Cape Playhouse, Dennis Village, MA
- Company One, Boston, MA
- The Hangar Theatre, Ithaca, NY
- Olney Theatre Center, Olney, MD
- National Players, Olney, MD
- New Repertory Theatre, Watertown, MA
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Ashland, OR
- Pendragon Theatre, Saranac Lake, NY
- PTP/NYC, New York, NY
- Underground Railway Theater, Cambridge, MA
- Vineyard Playhouse, Martha’s Vineyard, MA
- Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater, Wellfleet, MA
- Williamstown Theatre Festival, Williamstown, MA