MA Online Admissions
- Completed application for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts. (Please follow instructions within the online application for submitting materials electronically by upload or mailing hardcopy.)
- Nonrefundable application fee of $95.
- Two (2) current recommendations from immediate supervisors, art teachers, mentors, and/or undergraduate faculty addressing your leadership abilities in art education and potential for success in graduate studies. (Submitted electronically by referee)
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. (Mail hardcopy)
- Personal statement (1–2 pages) describing your purpose in pursuing graduate work, career objectives, and particular interest in BU. (Upload)
- Current résumé. (Upload)
- Artistic portfolio submitted digitally to http://bucfa.slideroom.com. Should include:
- Samples of your artwork (roughly 10 works, representing a focused exploration of your own work in any medium)
- Samples of your students’ artwork (5–10 works)
- $10 portfolio submission fee
- International applicants please click here for English proficiency requirements.
Please download a 2019 MA Admissions Worksheet to help keep track of your application pieces.
Qualities of a competitive applicant
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in Studio Art or Art Education from a regionally accredited college or university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Current or recent classroom teaching experience
- Complete application requirements
An admitted student may petition to transfer up to 8 graduate credits (taken within the last 5 years) from a regionally accredited college or university. Faculty review the petition, transcripts, and syllabi to determine if the coursework is equivalent to courses offered at BU. Transfer credit analysis is done for students only after they are admitted.
This program is designed for applicants who already possess a teaching license or simply want to learn more about art education but do not desire licensure to teach in American primary and secondary schools.
** Attention Arkansas Residents, please note: Enrollment in the MA in Art Education program offered by Boston University does not lead to public school (P-12) teacher licensure or a subject field endorsement (for public P-12 schools) in Arkansas.
**Attention Minnesota Residents, please note: This program is not approved by Minnesota Teaching Board as a teacher education preparation program that leads to Minnesota Teacher Licensure. The program allows currently licensed Minnesota Teachers to teach in the subject area of this program upon graduation but would not allow new Teacher Licensure applicants to receive a full teacher license in the state of Minnesota. This program is designed for Minnesota Residents as an advanced practice degree.