DMA Online Admissions
The Fall 2016 application is currently open.
- Completed application for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts.
- Non-refundable application fee of $95.
- Two (2) current recommendations from immediate supervisors, music teachers, mentors, and/or undergraduate or graduate faculty addressing your leadership abilities in music education and potential for success in a doctoral program.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Personal statement (1–2 pages) describing your purpose in pursuing graduate work, career objectives, and particular interest in BU.
- Statement of Research Interest: From your perspective as an emerging scholar, please articulate in 400–500 words a problem, issue, or phenomenon in music education that you might wish to research as part of your doctoral studies.
- Response Statement to one of the topics below (500–750 words):
- The publication of the National Standards has led to an improvement in music education in the United States.
- Technological developments over the past 10 years or so hold the potential to revolutionize music education.
- The multicultural music education movement has outlived its relevance and usefulness.
- Download a DMA Admissions Worksheet to help keep track of your application pieces.
Qualities of a competitive applicant
- Bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Music or Music Education from regionally accredited institutions
- At least 3 years of music teaching experience at the primary, secondary, or university level
- Leadership through activities such as designing curriculum, mentoring new teachers, serving on executive boards of professional organizations, and publishing articles
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Complete application requirements
An admitted student may petition to transfer up to 16 graduate credits (taken within the last 5 years) from a regionally accredited college or university. Faculty review the petition, transcripts, and syllabi to determine if the coursework is equivalent to courses offered at BU. Transfer credit analysis is done for students only after they are admitted.