MM in Composition
- Completed application for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts
- Non-refundable application fee of $80
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Artistic résumé
- Personal statement indicating the applicant’s purpose in pursuing graduate work, including career objectives
- At least three original compositions in good manuscript form, reflecting a variety of instrumental and formal types, including at least one work for a larger group such as a chamber orchestra and/or chorus. Recordings of compositions are helpful, but not required. Composition portfolios should be mailed to the College of Fine Arts at the address below along with a printed Composition Score Submission Form. Digital submissions of portfolios are not accepted.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from music professionals/educators. These may be submitted online using supplied Letter of Recommendation Form, or an official letter from the recommender in a sealed envelope
- International applicants: please click here for special requirements
A performance audition is not required for admission to graduate programs in composition.
Application and score submission deadline: December 15
Portfolio Mailing Address
BU College of Fine Arts
School of Music, Room 244
855 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
Detailed Program Information
For detailed information regarding specific degree requirements for the Composition major, please click here.
All admitted students are considered for all available scholarships and assistantships. There is no financial aid application. For more information regarding financial aid, please visit the financial aid link.