- A prescreening video recording is required for all Cello, Flute, Violin, and Voice applicants who would like to audition live at Boston University on our regular January and February audition dates. All other undergraduate programs and instruments are not prescreened.
- The prescreening video should follow the Audition Repertory Requirements for your instrument.
- Early Decision, Trustee Scholarship, Presidential Scholarship, and spring transfer applicants are not prescreened.
- BUTI alumni applying to the BM program are not prescreened. Simply email us for help with scheduling your audition.
- Fall transfer applicants in Cello, Flute, Violin, and Voice who wish to audition on one of our regular Boston live audition dates must submit a prescreening video recording by December 2 and an application must be submitted by January 1. Because Boston auditions occur in January and February, and the transfer application deadline is April 1, fall transfer applicants who apply closer to to the deadline may submit a video recorded audition in lieu of a live audition.
- A prescreening video recording is required for all Cello, Flute, Violin, and Voice applicants who would like to audition live at Boston University. MM Music Education applicants to the Initial Licensure path who wish to take applied music lessons on one of these instruments during their program of study and who wish to audition in Boston must also submit a prescreening video recording.
- Prescreening is required for all graduate applicants to our Choral Conducting, Orchestral Conducting, and Artist Diploma programs, and a live audition in Boston is required for all applicants to these programs who pass prescreening.
- Master of Sacred Music degree applicants in Organ and Choral Conducting must submit a prescreening recording.
- All other graduate programs and instruments are not prescreened.
- Current BU School of Music students applying to the MM, DMA, or PD programs in the School of Music do not need to submit a prescreening recording – simply email us for help with scheduling your audition. There are no exceptions or waivers to the prescreening requirement for Artist Diploma applicants.
All Prescreened Applicants – December 2 Submission Deadline
Please note that the Audition Repertory Requirements for prescreening are the same as for the live audition (excluding conducting applicants, or if marked on the audition repertory requirement page for your instrument). Please submit your prescreening video recording online through our DecisionDesk portal. You will need to register and submit your prescreening materials by December 2. Please note that DecisionDesk is separate from our online applications for admission: Graduate Application and Undergraduate Application.
DecisionDesk accepts the following file formats:
- Video (MPEG, MPG, MP4, OGG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, VOB)
- Image (JPEG, JPG, PNG, GIF)
- Document (TXT, RTF, DOC, DOCX, PDF, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX, SIB, MUS)
Individual files can be as large as 5GB, but keep in mind that larger files may take some time to upload. Upload speed is dependent upon both file size and speed of the internet connection. Please be patient, as files larger than 50MB can take some time. Be sure to upload files using a stable internet connection, and make sure the computer does not go into sleep or hibernate mode while a file is uploading. The fee for submitting your audition materials to DecisionDesk is $20 per applicant, but you save the cost of creating a physical recording or portfolio and overnighting it through the mail. For technical support with your DecisionDesk submission, please visit http://www.support.decisiondesk.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All recordings should be in video format.
- Recordings must be submitted online through DecisionDesk. Physical CD’s, DVD’s, and tapes will not be accepted. Emailed files and YouTube links are not acceptable.
- Recordings must be made no earlier than six months prior to the application deadline.
- Recordings will be evaluated by the same faculty who hear auditions in Boston.
- Recordings must be in accordance with the audition repertory guidelines.
- Applicants who are prescreened will be notified of the prescreening decision by email only.