An audition is required of undergraduate applicants regardless of major as well as graduate applicants to all performance-based programs. Graduate applicants in Composition, Musicology, and Music Theory do not need to audition. Graduate applicants to the MM in Music Education with initial licensure (Applied Music path) must complete an audition, while Professional Development as well as DMA Music Education applicants do not need to audition.
Most applicants have three audition options available to them:
- Boston auditions are held each winter on campus. Please note that some programs require prescreening before a Boston audition can be scheduled.
- Regional auditions take place in major cities around the USA as well as in Asia and Mexico.
- Video Recorded Auditions can be submitted if attending a live or regional audition is not possible.
Please note the following exceptions to these options depending on the program or instrument of application:
- Percussion and Historical Performance applicants may only audition in Boston or by recording
- Collaborative Piano applicants may only audition in Boston
- Artist Diploma, Conducting, and Opera Institute applicants who pass prescreening must audition in Boston on the designated audition day