An audition is required of undergraduate applicants regardless of major as well as graduate applicants to all performance-based programs. Graduate applicants in Composition, Musicology, and Music Theory do not need to audition. MM Music Education applicants to the Initial Licensure path who wish to take applied music lessons on one of these instruments during their program of study must complete an audition, while MM Music Education applicants to the Professional Development Path and DMA Music Education applicants do not need to audition.
Most applicants have three audition options available to them:
- Boston auditions are held each winter on campus. Please note that some programs require prescreening before a Boston audition can be scheduled.
- Regional auditions take place in major cities around the USA as well as throughout Asia.
- Video Recorded Auditions can be submitted if attending a live or regional audition is not possible.
Please note the following exceptions to these options depending on the program or instrument of application:
- Percussion and Historical Performance applicants may only audition in Boston or by recording
- Collaborative Piano applicants may only audition in Boston
- Artist Diploma, Conducting, and Opera Institute applicants who pass prescreening must audition in Boston on the designated audition day