CFA Petition to Extend Your Program—Online Students
As stated in the Graduate Student Handbook:
All programs for the degree Doctor of Musical Arts must be completed within seven years of the date of matriculation.
Requests for extensions of time beyond the seven‐year limit must be made by petition in consultation with your advisor for recommendation to the Graduate Studies Committee. When granted, extensions will be given for only one year at a time. Extensions of time will be granted only in cases where there is clear evidence of progress toward successful completion of the degree and where the student can show extraordinary reason for being granted an extension, such as illness, personal emergency, or the particular nature of the research project already undertaken.
From your first semester of enrollment, you have seven years to complete your program of study. If you believe you have reason to extend your program of study based on the information above, the form at the bottom of this page will allow you to complete an application to extend your program. Timing is important, as you are only eligible to apply for extension during a specified window of time during the last semester of the seventh year of study. Carefully refer to the chart below to see when your specified application window will open and close; applications received outside of the specified windows will not be considered and may result in an Administrative Withdrawal being processed for you without further review.
- To request an extension, please make sure to have reviewed the instruction sheet located in Blackboard within Informational Central, as well as read the instructions below and fill out the form/upload documents. Please do not submit your petition until the beginning of your allotted window.
|First Semester of Study||Application Period for Extension|
|Fall 2005||January 1 – April 1, 2012|
|Spring 2006||September 1 – November 1, 2012|
|Summer 2006||January 1 – April 1, 2013|
|Fall 2006||January 1 – April 1, 2013|
|Spring 2007||September 1 – November 1, 2013|
|Summer 2007||January 1 – April 1, 2014|
|Fall 2007||January 1 – April 1, 2014|
|Spring 2008||September 1 – November 1, 2014|
|Summer 2008||September 1 – November 1, 2014|
|Fall 2008||January 1 – April 1, 2015|
|Spring 2009||September 1 – November 1, 2015|
|Summer 2009||January 1 – April 1, 2016|
|Fall 2009||January 1 – April 1, 2016|
|Fall 2010||January 1 – April 1, 2017|
|Fall 2011||January 1 – April 1, 2018|
|Fall 2012||January 1 – April 1, 2019|
|Fall 2013||January 1 – April 1, 2020|
|Fall 2014||January 1 – April 1, 2021|
In addition to timing the application properly, please note the following additional considerations:
- Students engaged in dissertation writing must have the unqualified support of the dissertation supervisor or the extension will not be granted.
- Extensions are granted only one year at a time, meaning that after one year, a granted extension will expire and another application will be required for further extension to be considered.
- If you have previously applied for an extension and you are reapplying for additional extension, you must be able to show evidence of substantial process toward degree completion.
- You must be registered every fall and spring in order to request an extension.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding extending your program of study, please contact Mary Cannon (email@example.com) prior to completing the Application for Extension below.