School of Music Audition and Portfolio Information
Most applicants will need to complete an audition, portfolio, or interview to demonstrate artistic potential to be successful at the School of Music. Please follow the instructions on this page for your specific program/instrument.
Applicants whose programs require them to schedule an audition or submit media will do so by creating an Artistic Profile in Acceptd.
All undergraduate Bachelor of Music applicants must perform an audition or submit a portfolio according to the requirements listed below by instrument/program.
Bachelor of Arts in Music applicants do not need to complete an audition or portfolio.
Graduate applicants to performance-based programs must perform an audition according to the repertoire requirements listed below by instrument/program.
Graduate Composition applicants must submit a prescreening portfolio, and if invited, schedule an interview with our composition faculty.
Graduate Ethnomusicology, Music Education, Musicology, and Theory applicants do not need to audition. Graduate Music Education students can audition in September if they want private lessons on a primary instrument during their program.
Applicants to following programs and instruments need to submit a prescreening recording or portfolio for review before they can be invited to a live audition or interview.
- Applicants to cello, double bass, flute, percussion, piano, trumpet, violin, or voice regardless of degree or program
- Graduate Composition majors
- All applicants to the Doctor of Musical Arts in Performance
- All applicants to the Artist Diploma
Applicants will be notified of prescreening results in early January
Prescreening waivers are available to BUTI alumni applying for BM, and current BU students applying for MM, PD, or DMA. To request a waiver please email visitSOM@bu.edu
Early Decision and Spring Transfer
Early Decision and Spring Transfer applicants to prescreened programs are not required to submit a prescreening recording, but must schedule an audition on our November audition date.
Final Recorded Auditions
We highly encourage all of our applicants to audition or interview in Boston whenever possible. However, in the following cases we do allow final recorded auditions in place of a live audition.
- Undergraduate applicants living further than 300mi from Boston University
- Graduate applicants* currently residing outside of the contiguous United States
*Applicants to the Doctor of Musical Arts, Artist Diploma, and Opera Institute are required to submit a prescreening recording, and if invited, attend a live audition.
- Pre-screening Recorded Media Submissions: December 1
- Graduate Application: December 1
- Undergraduate Common Application:
• November 1 (Early Decision, Spring Transfer)
• December 1 (Trustee Scholarship and Presidential Scholarship)
• January 2 (Regular Decision)
- Submit Final Recorded Audition Media:
• December 1 (Early Decision and Spring Transfer)
• January 2 (Undergraduate Regular Decision and Graduate)
- Schedule your Audition:
• November 1 (Early Decision and Spring Transfer)
• January 4 (For programs without pre-screening)
2017-18 Audition Repertoire & Portfolio Requirements
Please select your instrument/program below to view the audition repertoire requirements and audition options.