Prior to entering the BFA Stage Management program, students must complete the Design & Production Core curriculum.
BU Stage Management students are encouraged to evolve a keen theatrical sensibility, a sound working knowledge of technical production, strong organizational skills, and an effective ability in personnel management. Our students crave knowledge in all aspects of theatre production, and the Stage Management program of study provides training in most major areas of theatre activity. Each student’s program of study is devised to reflect and enrich his or her own particular talents and interests and includes a semester abroad. Extensive production work combines with class room study so that theoretical knowledge is put to the test and real life situations are discussed outside the time pressures of technical rehearsals. Students within this program share a common experience of both specific focus and broad responsibility that leads to an unusually strong sense of community with designers, directors, and actors.
BFA Stage Management Course of Study
Application and Admission
- Freshmen work as production assistants or assistant stage managers on productions and also participate in other areas of production. Upperclassmen stage manage or assist one show every quarter. Small stage management teams ensure a greater amount of responsibility for each student.
- BU produces two chamber operas and two large-venue operas every year, providing students with exposure to the specificity of opera stage management.
- The School of Theatre works in a variety of spaces and produces many types of shows promoting flexibility and a well-rounded skill set.
- Courses of study are highly individualized and balance design, production, and performance classes while also allowing for a cross-curricular experience with the CFA Arts Leadership Minor and some College of Arts & Sciences minors.
- Professional opportunities through our Professional Theatre Initiative (PTI) allow our students access to top theatres throughout the country for internship, summer stock, or production opportunities.
Recent BFA Stage Management alumni include:
- Corinne Marrinan (CFA’95) | Producer and Writer, Film & Television; Academy Award Winner for Best Documentary Short Subject
- Grayson Meritt (CFA’96) | Freelance Stage Manager
- David H. Lurie (CFA’01) | Freelance Stage Manager, New York City
- Stephen M. Kaus (CFA’02) | Producer
- Marti McIntosh (CFA’03) | Production Manager, Northeastern University Department of Theatre
- Hannah Cohen (CFA’04) | Freelance Stage Manager, New York City
- Eileen Kelly (CFA’05) | Freelance Stage Manager, New York City
- Gregory T. Livoti (CFA’05) | Production Stage Manager, Phantom of the Opera, Broadway
- Kelly Levy (CFA’06) | Freelance Stage Manager, New York City
- Jillian M. Oliver (CFA’06) | Freelance Stage Manager, New York City
- Libby Unsworth (CFA’06) | Freelance Stage Manager, New York City
- Brian August (CFA’10) | Resident Production Stage Manager, Atlanta Opera; Production Stage Manager, Des Moines Metro Opera
- Renee Yancey, Program Head
Follow @butheatre on Instagram! #sotsneakpeek