All Performance undergraduates begin their studies in the School of Theatre by completing the first year BFA Performance Core.
The BFA in Acting is designed for committed students who have a strong desire to focus primarily on actor training and recognize the craft of acting as a means to approach, comprehend, and illuminate the complexity of the human spirit. The program is a carefully integrated sequence of courses that develops deep self awareness, heightened intellect, rich emotional life, expanded imagination, and generosity as a foundation for the development of a transformational actor. Rigorous studio work provides space for students to develop and hone their instruments and to exercise their abilities to express freedom, power, range, and sensitivity both in their personal lives and in their lives on stage.
Degree & Admissions Information
Average Class Size
Immersive studio classes in voice, speech, movement, and Alexander Technique provide the foundation for the Acting major and encourage students to develop a profound connection to themselves. Students are exposed to a wide range of acting and movement techniques and are encouraged to embrace the unknown and to be open to new and varied approaches to the creative process. Students explore materials from the classic to the contemporary and prepare for their transition to the professional world through classes in acting for the camera, professional life skills, and audition techniques. Acting majors create a capstone thesis in the senior year, a solo performance of wide ranging material requiring collaboration with classmates.
We aim not only to prepare talented and committed students for careers in the professional world of theatre and the related media of film and television, but also to cultivate generous, passionate citizen-artists. We support them as they discover and develop their voices. And we empower them to make bold theatre and to dare to have an impact on the world through their unique personal artistry.
- Guaranteed casting in the School of Theatre’s 35+ Productions each season, twice a semester beginning in the sophomore year. These rehearsal and performance opportunities provide students the opportunity to apply the dynamic work of their classes in practice.
- Opportunity to pursue music theatre training through our Music Theatre Concentration.
- Possibility of working with one of our Professional Theatre Initiative–affiliated companies while you are an undergraduate. You may be invited to work with an Actors’ Equity Association (AEA) affiliated theatre company in and around Boston or with the School of Theatre’s professional extension, Boston Center for American Performance.
- Study Abroad experience at programs such as London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA), Academia Dell’Arte in Arezzo, Italy, or other programs through BU Study Abroad.
- Access to working alumni in the field, as well as guest artists from around the country.
- Opportunity to complete the post-graduate BU in Los Angeles: Acting in Hollywood Program, giving students an inside track into the Los Angeles film and television community
- Cross-curricular opportunities in the College of Fine Arts, including the Arts Leadership Minor, and access to the greater University’s innovative general education program, the BU Hub
- Multiple pathways to integrate into the profession, including the option to participate in our Professional Theatre Showcases in Boston and New York City.
- Jason Alexander
- Michael Chiklis
- Geena Davis
- Emily Deschanel
- Olympia Dukakis
- Faye Dunaway
- Dan Fogler
- David Garrison
- Ginnifer Goodwin
- Craig Lucas
- Julianne Moore
- Nina Tassler
- Marisa Tomei
- Baron Vaughn
- Alfre Woodard