The Collaborative Piano department at Boston University offers intensive and in-depth programs of study to advanced pianists in the fields of song, chamber music, and opera.
Students enjoy varied performance opportunities with both vocalists and instrumentalists, and benefit from the experience and knowledge of world-renowned teachers from BU’s voice and instrumental departments.
Collaborative pianists explore and study not only piano technique and accompaniment, but also foreign languages, history, literature, poetry, music theory, and musicology. In our program, students are encouraged to grow as complete and versatile artists ready to tackle the rapidly changing musical landscape with solid technique and diverse skills.
This is what we offer at Boston University: a combination of heart and mind essential to navigate the professional world.
- Master of Music
- Doctor of Musical Arts
- 100% of Collaborative Piano majors receive graduate assistantships
- 8-12 Students in the Collaborative Piano department
- All Collaborative Piano majors have access to an individual practice/rehearsal room with a grand piano
- 400+ Concerts and events at the School of Music every year
Chair ad interim, Collaborative Piano Department Director ad interim, School of Music; Associate Professor of Music, Piano; Chair, Collaborative Piano Lecturer in Music, Chamber Music; Director of Piano Chamber Music, Boston University Tanglewood Institute Lecturer in Music, Collaborative Piano
Lecturer in Music, Piano
Chair ad interim, Collaborative Piano Department
Director ad interim, School of Music; Associate Professor of Music, Piano; Chair, Collaborative Piano
Lecturer in Music, Chamber Music; Director of Piano Chamber Music, Boston University Tanglewood Institute
Lecturer in Music, Collaborative Piano
Recent & Upcoming Masterclasses
- Margo Garrett
- Martin Katz
- Paul Sperry
- Alan Smith
- Roger Vignoles
- Susan Youens
- Collaborations: Graduate assistantships provide all of our pianists with opportunities to work regularly with instrumentalists, vocalists and in repertoire courses, as well as to share their work in multiple recitals every year
- In addition to their work on campus, our students have often been employed by Boston Ballet and the Tanglewood Festival Chorus; as well as, children’s choruses, churches, and semi-professional/community choruses across the Greater-Boston area.
- Graduate Assistantships: all collaborative piano majors receive graduate assistantships
- Rehearsal Facilities: every collaborative piano major has access to an individual practice/rehearsal room with a grand piano
- Arts Administration Certificate program, through the BU Metropolitan College, offers courses for graduate students interested in futures in arts leadership and administration.
Our students have participated in apprenticeships with prestigious institutions including: Central City Opera, San Francisco Opera, The Britten-Pears Young Artist Programme, and the Washington National Opera.
They have attended, or been staff pianists at, summer festivals such as the Tanglewood Music Center, Aspen Music Festival and School, Banff Centre, Music Academy of the West, Schubert Institute–Austria, and SongFest–Los Angeles.
Our alumni are professionally engaged as staff pianists for opera and ballet companies, Broadway shows, and choruses across the country.
You will also find our alumni as teachers, coaches, and staff pianists at universities and schools world-wide.