School of Music
Music is big here… actually, it’s massive.
The School of Music is a community of academically and artistically extraordinary musicians within a major research university located in one of the great music capitals of America. As the first degree-granting music school in the United States, we challenge our students to uphold and build upon the proud traditions and innovative spirit the city of Boston exemplifies. We are committed to the highest artistic and professional standards in performance, composition, music education, and musicology. The faculty is drawn from the ranks of some of the world’s most distinguished musicians and institutions and includes 30 members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The quality and diversity of Boston’s music scene provide constant stimulation and contribute to the School’s culture of musical excellence. Students undergo rigorous preparation for careers as composers, performers, scholars, and teachers.
119 State-of-the-Art Practice Rooms
It’s like transporting from a cavernous concert arena to an intimate venue — while never leaving the College of Fine Arts.
119 practice studios, the largest installation of Wenger modular practice rooms in the country, means that you’ll always be prepared to face the music.
School of Music by the Numbers
- 30 members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra are on faculty at the BU School of Music
- 400+ concerts and performances per academic year
- 119 new, state-of-the-art music practice rooms in the College of Fine Arts (the largest installation of Wenger modular practice studios in the United States)
- 200 undergraduate students in the BU School of Music
- 173 School of Music faculty (part-time and full-time)
- 160 pianos in the BU School of Music
- 1872 the year the BU School of Music was founded, making it the oldest degree-granting music school in the United States
- $0 admission for BU School of Music students to nearly all Boston Symphony Orchestra concerts
Affiliated Ensembles and Organizations
Boston University’s School of Music is affiliated with numerous organizations that provide an exciting and creative extension of its core programs.