José was at CELOP last semester, Summer 2018, and Miguel studied at...
Incoming Health Requirements
Massachusetts state law requires that all Boston University students have proof of immunizations and medical insurance that meets benefit levels mandated by the state.
Please refer to BU Student Health Services’ CELOP health requirements page for the most up-to-date Immunization and Physical Form and information regarding medical insurance and immunizations.
For help uploading your Immunization and Physical Form to Patient Connect, please see below.
Instructions for Uploading your completed Immunization and Physical Form to Patient Connect
- Take a picture of your completed forms or scan them to your computer. There should be one picture for each page that has been filled out. If you have questions, please contact CELOP Admissions (email@example.com).
- Go to www.bu.edu/patientconnect in your web browser.
- Log into Patient Connect using your BU Kerberos account issued by the university and then verify your date of birth.
- Once logged in, click on the word “Forms” from the menu bar.
- Click on “Immunization and Physical Form Upload”.
- Click on the button “Add Immunization record…” and attach the images of your Immunization and Physical Form that you took on your phone or scanned on your computer.
- Click on the word “Submit Final” in the blue box.
Waiving the BU Student Health Insurance Plan
The Boston University Student BASIC Plan can be waived in only very few cases. Please read the Comparable Coverage Checklist for details and to determine if you have a comparable level of health insurance coverage. You may waive BU Student Health Insurance if you determine your insurance plan meets the new Comparable Coverage Checklist.
Accepted fall and spring semester semesters who would like to waive BU Student Health Insurance must submit an online insurance waiver request. Accepted summer semester students can waive using a paper form that we will provide.
The BU Student Accounting Services office reviews all waiver requests to determine eligibility reply with their decision.The fees for the BU Student Health Insurance Plan will stay on your account if you do not submit the online waiver or if your insurance plan is denied by the BU Student Accounting Office.
If you have questions about the BU Student Health Insurance Plan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name and BU ID number in your email.
Instructions for Waiving BU Student Health Insurance
Only students accepted to our fall and spring programs can submit an online insurance waiver request.
- Log-in to your Student Link using your Kerberos username and password.
- Click on “Money Matters”.
- Click on “Medical Insurance”.
- Select “Medical Insurance Status – Confirm/Waive”.
- Click “Waive Medical Insurance”.
- Enter your insurance company information.
- Click “Re-authenticate and Waiver Insurance”.
- Answer all the “Yes/No” questions about your medical insurance plan coverage.
- Click “Waive Medical Insurance (continue)”.
- After you submit your waiver, you will receive one of the following responses:
- A confirmation that your waiver request is complete. You will receive an email from BU Student Accounting to let you know if your waiver is approved or denied.
- An error message that “You are not eligible”. You may try to enter your responses again. If you do not know how to answer the questions, please contact your insurance provider or email us at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do I have to have medical insurance?
Massachusetts state law requires students to have adequate medical insurance from a United States-based insurance provider. Regardless of your current insurance coverage, you will be billed for the insurance offered through Boston University.
- The cost of the medical insurance on the Dates & Fees page of CELOP’s website is for an entire academic year, but what if I will only be at CELOP for one semester, do I have to pay the full amount?
No. If you know that you will be at CELOP for the Fall semester only, we will adjust the cost of your medical insurance so that you only have to pay for that semester. When you arrive at CELOP, you must complete a form to apply for an insurance adjustment with Student Accounting Services. This form will not be provided unless you request it from Student Accounting Services.
- Can I buy medical insurance for my spouse and/or children here in the U.S.?
Yes. Students are eligible to add their dependent spouse and dependent children during the medical insurance open enrollment period. However, students must be enrolled at the BU Student Plus level to be eligible to add dependents. If you wish to add eligible dependents, it is important to contact Boston University Student Accounting Services as soon as you are accepted into the CELOP program for instruction on how to change your plan level from Student Basic to Student Plus, as well as how to add dependent(s) to your plan.
For more information about adding your dependents, please contact Boston University Student Accounting Services at 617-353-2870 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact Student Accounting Services for instructions before you arrive in Boston, even if your dependents will be arriving in the United States later than you.
- What services are available at Boston University Student Health Services?
BU’s Student Health Services, located just across the street from CELOP’s main offices, provides students with medical and minor surgical. Services are provided by staff physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, and an on-call crisis intervention counselor. If necessary, you will be provided with transportation to an area hospital. Some services do require a fee, which may be billed to your student account or paid for by cash or check.
BU Student Health Insurance Plan Card
If you are enrolled in the BU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), you can access and print out your insurance ID card on Aetna’s website.
Click “Get your ID card”, enter your BUID Number (UXXXXXXXX) and date of birth. Then, click submit. You will see the digital copy of your BU Student Health Insurance Plan Card.
If you want to print it out, click the “Print Card” Button.