Qais Akbar Omar, an Afghan-American writer and alumnus of Boston University, came...
Part Time Programs
Part Time Courses to Help Meet Your Goals
CELOP offers part time, non-credit, English courses for internationals living in the Boston community. A variety of classes at different levels are available during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters:
- EN081 program: meets twice per week from 1:30pm – 3:50pm (5 hours)
- EN082 program: meets four times per week from 1:30pm – 3:50pm (10 hours)
Whether you want to improve your English for your job, raise your TOEFL score, or just communicate more easily with your English-speaking friends and neighbors, CELOP has a course to help you meet your goals. All new students are required to take a placement test to determine their level of English.
Students may choose from the following part time courses:
Part Time Course Descriptions - Click Here
- Active English (Elementary) Improve your speaking and listening, and develop your vocabulary in this project-based class. You will learn actively with other students when you do presentations about your country and culture, take field trips, practice using English in real life situations, and learn about American culture and customs through holiday-based projects and other interesting activities. Listening,
- Speaking, Vocabulary (Intermediate to Advanced) Do you want to be able to use English comfortably and with confidence in academic, business or social settings? In this class you will improve your English communication skills by listening to recorded materials from sources that may include radio, television, websites, and video. Speaking activities will allow you to practice communicating your thoughts fluently and more accurately. You will also increase your knowledge of English vocabulary, including slang and idiomatic expressions, so that you can better understand Americans and American culture. At the intermediate level, vocabulary will focus on common and essential everyday English words and expressions. At the advanced level, vocabulary will focus on academic, professional and cultural words and expressions.
- Reading, Speaking, Vocabulary (Intermediate to Advanced) In this class you will improve your English communication skills through readings and discussions from a variety of sources that may include books, magazines, websites and newspapers. The readings will expand your vocabulary as well as stimulate discussion. You will develop the skills you need to improve your overall reading comprehension. The speaking part of the class will provide you with many opportunities to practice speaking in English. You will also learn a variety of methods including logical clues to understand unfamiliar vocabulary. At the intermediate level, vocabulary will focus on common and essential everyday English words and expressions. At the advanced level, vocabulary will focus on academic, professional and cultural words and expressions. This class will prepare you to feel more confident in academic, business and social settings.
- Academic Writing (Intermediate to Advanced) This course will help you improve your writing skills by teaching you the elements of clear, coherent, grammatically correct English writing. You will review organizational techniques for developing and presenting your ideas, learn how to combine sentences effectively, paraphrase without plagiarizing, and attribute material from other sources. You will also work on the overall writing process, learning to edit and revise your writing so that the final draft is a sophisticated and accurate product.
- iBT Preparation (High Intermediate to Advanced) This course is designed for students preparing to take the new internet-based TOEFL examination (iBT) for university admission. You will work on improving test-taking skills to help increase your scores. You will prepare for all four sections of the examination: reading, listening, writing, and speaking. A small amount of attention may be given to the paper-based TOEFL. You will do preparatory exercises and sample tests. This is an intensive exam-preparation course and students are required to do regular homework assignments.
Program Dates and Fees
Please visit our Part-Time admissions page for application instructions and program dates & fees.