Benefits of Membership
While an Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (I/UCRC) is largely supported by membership fees, the benefits to industry membership far outweigh the relatively small annual fees. I/UCRC members benefits include:
- Leverage the research funds from other center members and NSF. The consolidated funding (via membership fees) may enable 5 to 6 times the individual investment to address pressing industry needs.
- Get research results early. Industry members will have pre-publication research results available for review.
- Influence research directions.
- Meet graduate students. A primary goal of the I/UCRC is to provide a pipeline of qualified scientists and engineers to industry.
- Interact with others in the field. The I/UCRC provides the opportunity for a company to engage on a pre-competitive basis with customers, peers and vendors.
- Jump start on technology transfer. Industry members have the ability to influence applied research to be aligned with “design rules” that are optimized for their manufacturing operations.
- Licensing rights. Members have the option to a royalty-free/non-exclusive license or in the situation where only one member desires a license an option to an exclusive/royalty bearing license.
- Opportunities to establish partnerships to pursue major federal funding.
Click here to view a presentation from Larry Hornak about membership in the Center for Biophotonics Sensors and Systems I/UCRC, presented at the IAB meeting in December 2011.