Frequently Asked Questions
How many guests can be accommodated?
The Castle can accommodate receptions for up to 125 guests as well as ceremonies (seated or standing depending on guest count). The amounts noted below are for set-ups using our house chairs:
- Sit-down Buffet Meal- maximum of 56 guests
- Sit-down Served dinner- maximum of 92 seated in two adjoining rooms
- Station or light buffet menu with limited seating- maximum of 125 guests (125 is maximum issued by Fire Marshall)
For additional space, the ground floor BU Pub can be reserved on Saturdays or Sundays for a nominal additional fee.
Please note that The Castle is not currently wheelchair accessible.
Is there outdoor space available?
There is a ground-level Patio which can be reserved for a nominal additional fee. The fee is refundable in the case of inclement weather. The Patio can be used for your Cocktail Hour and/or throughout the event. Unfortunately, the Patio is not a suitable space for an outdoor ceremony.
What is included in your Facility Rental Fee?
- A professional event coordinator who will assist you with planning your Wedding, offer referrals to vendors and coordinate all related details that take place at The Castle on your Wedding day.
- House tables in assorted sizes, house chairs, glassware, flatware and china.
- All associated custodial costs for set-up and breakdown of all event furniture and cleaning before and after your event.
- Parking in a nearby Boston University lot for all of your guests on the day of your Wedding.
- If your Wedding Ceremony will be held at The Castle, you may schedule a one hour rehearsal on a weekday between the hours of 2:30-5:30 PM at no additional cost.
- A Bridal Changing Room with a private restroom which is accessible two hours prior to your event.
- Access for your vendors up to two hours prior to your event start time. No other events will be held on the same day.
- Adequate space and accommodations for a small band or a DJ. Also available are a house sound system for background music and one corded microphone.
What are your Catering restrictions?
All events held on the campus of Boston University are required to use “Catering on The Charles” for all food and beverage requirements. Each event is carefully planned and managed by your event coordinator who works closely with a Catering Sales Manager and Catering Event Manager. The menu selections have been expertly created by the Executive Chef but custom or modified menus are always an option. We are happy to accommodate guests with food allergies or dietary restrictions. Once you have booked your date you are able to schedule a private menu tasting. Tastings are generally held on a weekday at The Castle or a nearby campus facility.
What are your booking and payment policies?
Ideally a planning period of 6-12 months is recommended but we are happy to book available dates with as little as six weeks’ notice. A signed Contract and deposit in the amount of the Facility Fee is due within 3 weeks of booking your date. The deposit is non-refundable unless we are able to re-book the date. Fifty percent of estimated remaining costs will be due 60 days prior to the event. The remaining estimated balance will be due 5 business days before your Wedding along with your final Catering guarantee.