CAS provides file servers for use by faculty, staff, and students. The storage is intended for academic work and related documents. Please do not store personal music collections, videos, or photos on the file server.
Users seeking space for large amounts of data should contact us directly for a consultation.
Your account must be linked to AD to log in to the file server.
In order to link your account you must have an active BU Kerberos account. For guests or visiting faculty, please request an account first, then link the account to AD as described above.
Request a User Folder
User folders can be requested by submitting a help ticket and requesting a new server account.
This user folder will not be shareable.
Request a Shared Folder
For purposes of collaboration, you can request a folder that can be shared by a number of users. This can be done by submitting a help ticket and and providing a list of authorized users.
To connect to a file server from off-campus, you must first connect to the BU network via VPN and then follow the below directions.
Instructions for Windows
1. Open File Explorer using the shortcut Win + E.
2. In the File Explorer window right click “This PC” in the left hand navigation pane. Select “Map network drive…”. Note: In Windows 7 “This PC” is labeled as “Computer”. Or select the Map Network Drive icon from the menu bar (Windows 10 only).
3. Enter the path of the server folder. Example: \\casfs.bu.edu\folder_name
4. When prompted, enter your BU credentials as AD\username and Kerberos password. Click OK.
Instructions for Mac OS
1. In Finder, open the the “Connect to Server” dialog by clicking Go->Connect to Server (or by using the shortcut Command+K)
2. Enter the path of the server folder. Example: smb://casfs.bu.edu/folder_name
3. Click on the “+” to save the entry.
4. Click Connect.
5. Enter your BU username as AD\username and BU Kerberos password in the connection window.
Where is my folder?
Here is a list of common folder paths:
\\casfs.bu.edu (PC) or smb://casfs.bu.edu (Mac) contains department and research group folders
\\casfs.bu.edu\class_folders (PC) or smb://casfs.bu.edu/class_folders (Mac) contains the course folders for classes held in CAS 327 and 330
\\casfsb.bu.edu\facstaff_home$ (PC) or smb://casfsb.bu.edu/facstaff_home$ (Mac) contains the user directories for faculty and staff.
\\casfs.bu.edu\homes1 (PC) or smb://casfs.bu.edu/homes1 (Mac) Also contains user directories for faculty and staff. All newly requested faculty and staff folders are created in this location.
Please contact our office if you need assistance locating a file server folder.