Courseload (full-time, part-time, overload, etc.)
Courseload in general
- Students are expected to be enrolled on a full-time basis.
- To be considered full-time, a student must be registered in a minimum of 12 credits.
- Students ordinarily are expected to proceed at the rate of four courses per semester.
- Full-time tuition covers 12-18 credits.
- Additional tuition will be charged for all credits in excess of 18.
- The per-credit tuition rate for the current academic year can be found on the registrars website.
- Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher, can waive the additional tuition (up to 20 credits) by filing a fee waiver online: http://www.bu.edu/casadvising/cas-course-overload-fee-waiver-form/
- CAS Seniors (those who have completed 88 or more credits), regardless of GPA, do not need to apply for the fee waiver; it is granted automatically.
- First-semester freshmen and first-semester transfers may not take five 4-credit courses.
- Enrollment in fewer than 12 credits in any semester requires advanced approval.
- Part-time status is usually granted for only one semester during a student’s enrollment at CAS.
- Petitions for part-time status can be found here: http://www.bu.edu/casadvising/part-time-status-petition/
- Only in unusual circumstances will a second petition be granted. If a student is looking to petition for a second semester of part-time status he/she should make an appointment with an Academic Advisor in CAS Academic Advising.