Impactx2 Logo and Photo

Impact x2 Qais

Impactx2 Content

How can we work together to promote better cultural understanding worldwide?

Qais Akbar Omar (GRS’16), a graduate student in the Creative Writing Program, has published a much-praised memoir, A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story. He recalls how the violence and tumult of civil war jolted his family, who, despite losing relatives, their home, and possessions, continued to nurture his wish to attend a university.

Impactx2 Call to Action

With your help, students like Qais gain the skills they need to tell their story and give us a broader understanding of the world.

Will you support CAS?


It depends on the type of stipend you are receiving.  Non-service stipends are paid on the fourth Friday of each month.  Service stipends are paid weekly, on Fridays.   For detailed information on payments for PhD students by fellowship type, please see:

We encourage all students to setup direct deposit so that your paychecks will be automatically deposited into your bank account.   You can setup direct deposit on the BU Works website, under the “Employee Self-Service” tab.   Please note that you need to setup direct deposit a couple weeks in advance of your first paycheck.  If it is not setup in time, you may need to pick up your first physical check at the Student Employment Office.

Yes, if you are working (receiving a service stipend), as a domestic student, you’ll need to complete these forms before you can be setup with Student Employment.  If you are working as a international student, ISSO will assist you with completing your hiring paperwork.  If you are receiving a non-service stipend, these forms are not required until you are awarded your first service stipend.

It depends if you are receiving a service or non-service stipend.  If you received a service stipend during the calendar year, such as a teaching fellowship or a research assistantship, your earnings will be subject to tax withholdings and you will receive a W-2 from Boston University.

If you are a domestic student who received a non-service stipend, such as a Dean’s fellowship, taxes will not be withheld and you will not receive any tax documentation on this stipend.  However, your non-service stipend may still be subject to taxation, even if taxes are not withheld.  The portion of the financial aid award that exceeds the expense of tuition, fees, and books is subject to income tax.  It is the student’s responsibility to report it accurately to the IRS and make payments on any taxable portion of the award.

If you are an international student who received a non-service stipend, such as a Dean’s fellowship, a 14% tax will be withheld from the stipend unless your home country has a tax treaty, and you complete the appropriate paperwork with the Payroll Office.  Students who have declared a tax treaty will also receive a 1042S form from the Payroll Office, which reports earnings that were exempt under the tax treaty.