Impactx2 Logo and Photo

Impact x2 Qais

Impactx2 Content

How can we work together to promote better cultural understanding worldwide?

Qais Akbar Omar (GRS’16), a graduate student in the Creative Writing Program, has published a much-praised memoir, A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story. He recalls how the violence and tumult of civil war jolted his family, who, despite losing relatives, their home, and possessions, continued to nurture his wish to attend a university.

Impactx2 Call to Action

With your help, students like Qais gain the skills they need to tell their story and give us a broader understanding of the world.

Will you support CAS?


You’ll need to submit a FAFSA, as well as submit loan request forms to the GRS Financial Aid Office.   You must do so for each academic year in which you wish to receive federal loans. Please note that submitting your FAFSA is only the first step in applying for graduate loans.  Links to download the required loan request forms are available on our website:

Federal Stafford loans
Credit-based Loans (Federal PLUS & Private)

It depends on the type of fellowship you are receiving.  Your total aid, including all loans, scholarships, and service-free stipends, cannot exceed your cost of attendance (or “budget”).   Service stipends, such as teaching fellowships and research assistantships, do not count towards your cost of attendance figure.  Therefore, you may be eligible to take out a small loan for living expenses if you are receiving a service fellowship.  Please contact our office if you have questions about this.

You can view the current academic year cost of attendance for full-time students here.   If you are enrolled in less than 12 credits, you must use the per-credit rate to calculate your tuition charges each semester.  You may contact GRS Financial Aid if you need assistance with determining your budget for the academic year.

You are welcome to borrow from the lender of your choice.  For some helpful information on credit-based loans, and comparison of some private loan programs, please see visit the information listed on the Office of Financial Aid website.   Please note that this is not intended to be an exhaustive list of loan options.

Federal loan funds (in excess of tuition and fees) can be released on the first day of classes for each semester.  Keep in mind that academic year loan disbursements are split evenly between both semesters, and you may only request an eligible refund for the current semester’s loan funds.

You can request an electronic refund by going to Student Link > Money Matters tab > Student Account Inquiry > Select “Request a Refund”