Impactx2 Logo and Photo

Impact x2 Qais

Impactx2 Content

How can we work together to promote better cultural understanding worldwide?

Qais Akbar Omar (GRS’16), a graduate student in the Creative Writing Program, has published a much-praised memoir, A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story. He recalls how the violence and tumult of civil war jolted his family, who, despite losing relatives, their home, and possessions, continued to nurture his wish to attend a university.

Impactx2 Call to Action

With your help, students like Qais gain the skills they need to tell their story and give us a broader understanding of the world.

Will you support CAS?

International Students

All international applicants who are offered admission and accept their offer are then required to submit the completed International Applicant Coversheet or International Student Data form with required passport/visa documentation.  These applicants would be immediately notified by email and given instruction how to submit this documentation.

In the event applicants are offered admission without sufficient financial aid to cover the estimate of expenses for themselves and any dependents they may have, applicants must also submit appropriate financial documentation before official admission is given and the visa process can begin.

There is no application or petition for a fee waiver. The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences does not waive the application fee under any circumstance.

Yes, all transcripts submitted to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences must be in English. If you are submitting a transcript that is not in English, you must submit a certified English translation of the transcript and degrees awarded.

The WES/ECE evaluation is not a required component of the application.  If you have attended an institution that is not located within the United States, we request that you upload your unofficial transcript in the appropriate section of your application.  The Graduate School may contact you at the time of review if a WES/ECE evaluation is necessary.

All full-time PhD and MFA students will be admitted with full fellowship aid.  If you are admitted to a PhD or MFA program, please select the appropriate option on the International Student Data Form.

Unfortunately, financial aid for MA and MS degree applicants far exceeds our capability to support many highly qualified students. If in the event you are recommended for admission without financial aid, you would need to provide financial documentation to begin the visa process.

We accept checking or savings bank account statements, bank loan statements, scholarship award letters (not based on admission to degree program), or support letters from the government or independent organization. The financial documents must be in English and clearly state your name or, if applicable, your sponsor’s name. The currency on all financial documentation must be in U.S. dollars. Additionally, bank letters should specify either the amount of U.S. dollars in the account, or a minimum U.S. dollar amount available for use.

If you are being sponsored, then a bank statement must be accompanied by a legalized letter of sponsorship. Photocopies of any financial documentation are not acceptable. The International Students & Scholars Office has detailed information regarding financial support documentation on their website.

Please note that once a financial document is sent to our office, it will not be returned under any circumstances. Students should request two copies of bank statements or bank letters from their bank as the second copy of the bank statement or bank letter will be needed for visa processing at the student’s embassy appointment.

A legalized letter of support is an original letter, written and signed by your sponsor(s), stating their relationship to you and that they are willing to support you for the upcoming academic year at Boston University with a specified amount of money (which must be sufficient to cover the estimated expenses as determined by the International Students & Scholars Office). It does not have to be notarized or signed by a lawyer. The submitted letter must be an original letter, not a photocopy, and must be signed and dated within the past year. A Financial Sponsorship Certification Form can be used in place of a legalized letter of support.

The International Students & Scholars Office provides an estimate of expenses that should be sufficient for one year of attendance at Boston University. The most recent estimate is posted on ISSO’s website. Please be aware that this estimate is updated on a yearly basis. If the estimate posted on the website is for a previous academic year, you should expect an increase and submit financial support documents accordingly.

On page one of the International Student Data Form, you are asked to indicate how you will be funded during your studies at Boston University. If you have no financial support and will rely solely on financial assistance from the department, please write a brief statement on the bottom of page one outlining why you have not included financial documentation with the form.