Also in Faculty & Staff
Procedure for Broadcast E-Mails
We receive many requests to send broadcast e-mails through the CAS Dean’s Office. The BU Office of Information Technology manages all broadcast e-mails. Please follow that office’s procedures.
As we all see our “inboxes” filled every day, please consider before you make a request whether a broadcast email is the best method of communication. For advertising events, for example, consider submitting them to the BU events calendar.
- Compose your message and send a draft to Jeremy Schwab, CAS communications specialist, for approval. Once you receive approval, forward a copy of it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send the approved message to email@example.com. The message body and subject field should be specified exactly as you want them to appear in the mailing.
- An automated reply to your message will be generated and sent to you. The auto response will contain a unique identifier that serves as a tracking number for your message. It also will request that you furnish the following:
- Date on which you want the message sent.
- The e-mail address to be displayed as the sender of the message.
- The e-mail address to which undeliverable mail replies should be sent. (It can be the same as the e-mail address used as the sender of the message.)
- A list of recipients (e.g., cas-faculty) to whom the e-mail should be sent.
- The name of the person from whom you have obtained approval.
- Your phone number.
- Once your reply with this information is received, your broadcast e-mail will be processed and you will receive a sample of the message as it will be distributed. You can modify the text anytime before you give final approval. Simply edit the text and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The body of the message should contain only the revised message text; the subject field should contain the unique identifier that was sent to you when you initially submitted your message for distribution.
- If you agree that the message is ready to be sent, confirm via an e-mail sent to email@example.com. Once you complete this step, your message will be queued for release on the specified date.
- The primary contact for all broadcast e-mail requests is Valerie Kean, (firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-353-8190). For more details, visit http://www.bu.edu/policies/email/broadcast-email.pdf