Dean of Arts & Sciences
The Dean is the chief academic, administrative, and financial officer of the College and Graduate School. The main responsibilities of the Dean are to lead the College by setting priorities, directing academic planning, and working with departments to help them fulfill their academic missions. The Dean is also the chief advocate for the College in its relationships with the central administration and in representing the College to external constituencies.
What are the main functions of the Dean’s Office?
- Prepares key planning documents for submission to the Provost, including the annual budget and the annual report of the College.
- Oversees CAS administrative offices.
- Develops fund-raising initiatives and strengthens alumni relationships.
- Represents the College on the Council of Deans and the University Council.
- Nominates to the Provost candidates for appointment as Assistant or Associate Dean; department Chair; center or institute Director; faculty member.
- Interviews short-listed search candidates: all senior candidates, junior candidates as appropriate.
- Recommends to the Provost faculty actions involving searches; tenure and promotion (including emeritus); sabbatical and other leaves; extensions of service; changes of status (including retirement); additional appointments for full-time faculty; salaries and other compensation.
- Recommends to the Provost the hiring of support staff, and changes in their status and salaries.
- Approves faculty and staff actions not requiring Provost approval.
- Resolves allegations of academic misconduct.
- Presides at all CAS/GRS faculty meetings.
- Presides at meetings of the Dean’s Advisory Committee.
- Presides at meetings of the department Chairs.
- Serves ex officio on the Academic Policy Committee.
- Appoints the Secretary of the Faculty.
- Appoints the members of the Nominating Committee; the Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure Committee; the Committee on Honors, Scholarships, and Fellowships; the Committee on the Buck Education Fund.
- Appoints the faculty members of the Committee on Graduate Academic Standards and Conduct and the Committee on Undergraduate Academic Conduct.