Leave of Absence and Withdrawals
To receive a 100% tuition refund or credit to your account for Fall 2017, a Withdrawal/Leave of Absence form must be filed in the GRS Office before the first day of classes, Tuesday, September 5. Before submitting this form, students should familiarize themselves with the GRS Policies on Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals as stated in the GRS Bulletin.
For more information, please see the Withdrawal and Tuition Refund Schedule
Childbirth and Adoption Accommodation
Full-Time PhD and MFA Students
Please find official University policy here.
The childbirth and adoption accommodation policy for full-time or certified full-time PhD students in good academic standing provides for extensions for academic coursework and other requirements to the primary caregiver of an infant or adopted child. It also provides for a continuation of stipend support for funded students during the accommodation period.
A GRS full-time or certified full-time PhD student taking an accommodation due to the birth of a child should notify the relevant department Chair or Program Director in writing no later than 30 days prior to the start of the semester during which the birth is expected using the procedures described below. In the case of adoption, notification should be made once the student becomes reasonably certain of the expected dates of adoption.
Students are given two options for notifying the relevant offices:
1) By email:
- Please include the following information in an email with the subject: “GRS Childbirth and Adoption Accommodation” to your department Chair or Program Director, copying your Director of Graduate Studies, your department/program administrator, the GRS Director of Admissions & Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org, and if a research assistant, the Principal Investigator of the research project on which you are working:
- Your name
- BU ID number
- Expected date of birth or adoption
- The start and end dates of the 60-day accommodation period if known, or approximate dates if not
- The Chair or Program Director must acknowledge receipt of this email via a reply to all parties initially included.
- If you are expecting to be a Teaching Fellow during the semester in which you take the accommodation, this must be discussed with your department/program and GRS Financial Aid; if you are expecting to be a Research Assistant, the details surrounding the accommodation must be determined at the department/program level.
2) By form:
- Please complete this notification form, obtain the necessary signatures, and submit to the GRS office – Room 112 of College of Arts & Sciences Building.