CANCELLED! Aravind Eye Hospitals, India: A Model for Social Entrepreneurship in Healthcare

  • Starts: 12:00 pm on Friday, November 2, 2012
  • Ends: 1:00 pm on Friday, November 2, 2012
  • Register
Join the BUSPH Department of International Health & BU Global Programs for a talk by Dr. R.D. Ravindran, Chairman & Director, Aravind Eye Care System The Aravind Eye Hospitals in India serve millions of people who need eye care. “There are many examples of excellent public health delivery models around the world, but rarely do we see one that has been able to grow steadily over three decades, and yet simultaneously maintain, even increase, the excellent quality of its service. Aravind is an exemplar in this regard. Even more interestingly, it is fueled by a self-funding model: roughly 40% of its patients, those “paying” for its services, provide the profit margins to deliver a high-quality service for the rest of the 60%, “non-paying” poor patients.” Dr. Ravindran, Chairman of the Aravind Eye Care System, served as Chief Medical Officer in the Aravind Eye Hospital for close to 23 years. He was involved in bringing changes that standardize “quality eye care”. He has presented in numerous International and National Conferences both on clinical as well as managerial aspects of Aravind Model of Eye Care. He served as a Regional Co Chair for IAPB (International Association for Prevention of Blindness) from 2004 to 2012 and contributes as a Board Member of VISION 2020 Right to Sight India since 2008. Free and open to the public.
Location:
BU School of Medicine, Room L206/209, 72 East Concord Street, Boston

Back to Calendar