Please review the following two options to determine your eligibility to apply for an application fee waiver.
Special Program or Other Status
The Graduate School is pleased to offer application fee waivers on the basis of participation in the following qualified programs, events, fellowships, or other eligible statuses. You will need to provide documentation of your participation/affiliation and also dates of participation with your request.
- Americorps (current participant or recent alumni, within the last two years)
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science (GEM)
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- McNair Scholars Program
- National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers (NOBCChE)
- Peace Corps (current participant or recent alumni, within the last two years)
- Project 1000
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Teach for America (current participant or recent alumni, within the last two years)
- Veterans with Honorable Discharge or Active Duty in U.S. Armed Forces
Documented Financial Hardship
Applicants with documented financial hardship may be eligible for a fee waiver. To evaluate your request, you will be required to provide one of the following forms of documentation, along with a statement (100-250 words) explaining your situation:
- an official statement of need, which includes your EFC, from a financial aid officer at your current institution
- a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR), with your Social Security Number obscured
- official verification of current participation in a government low-income aid program (SNAP), Unemployment, TANF-Welfare (Temporary Assistance for needy Families, Medicaid, etc.)
- copy of waiver granted by ETS for GRE fee within the past year
Do not send copies of your tax return or bank statements.
Fee Waiver Instructions
Please follow the instructions below to request a fee waiver. All requests must be received three (3) business days prior to the application deadline.
- Begin your PhD or Master’s application
- Include your name as it appears on our application, application ID number (CAS ID), and program to which you’re applying in the email request
- Send the email with subject “Application Fee Waiver” and all required documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will receive an email notification if and when your fee waiver is approved. You must wait to receive this confirmation and follow the instructions within the email in order to submit your application. Do not submit your application with a payment, as paid application fees can not be refunded.
To be eligible to apply for a waiver of the application fee you must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident. Non-U.S. citizens are not eligible to apply for a fee waiver. Applicants to non-degree programs are not eligible for a fee waiver.