The world awaits. What will you study?
At Boston University’s College of Arts & Sciences (CAS), you will be empowered to follow your own path to career and life success. Choose from over 70 majors and special academic programs. Take advantage of valuable internship, research, and study abroad opportunities. Learn from professors who are leaders in their fields. Develop interpersonal, analytical, and creative thinking skills that will help you throughout your life. Receive consistent support from academic advisors and faculty and student mentors.
Here are a few highlights of a CAS education…
- Choose from over 70 majors and an extensive range of minors
- Get support from professional academic advisors to help you chart your course throughout your four years here
- Work with pre-health and pre-law advisors to prepare for a career in medicine or law
- Conduct original research through the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
- Study abroad in one of more than 20 countries
- Intern within BU or outside of BU
- Participate in the First Year Experience, which includes FY101 in the fall and FY103 in the spring. These 1-credit courses will help you transition into academic and social life at BU
- Take SY101 your senior year and prepare for your first steps out of college—identify potential employers, build effective résumés and cover letters, strengthen networking and interviewing skills, and develop an individualized plan of action to pursue the right fit beyond graduation
- Tailor your degree with special academic opportunities: Core Curriculum; BA/MA, BA/MS, and BA/MPH programs; honors in the major; and more
- Study and collaborate in the state-of-the-art CAS Think Tank
- Connect with like-minded students and faculty via student organizations, living-learning houses, service learning opportunities, and special events like the Dean’s Leadership Lunches
- Take the lead as a member of the CAS Student Government or join the fun, engaged community of CAS Dean’s Hosts
- Study in a rigorous environment, with high-achieving students and faculty and highly ranked academic programs
As much as any school at BU, the College of Arts & Sciences is enriched by a diversity of perspectives. Our more than 70 majors, from astronomy to economics to European studies, offer dramatically different ways of viewing the world. This diversity of academic outlooks complements the diversity of cultural perspectives brought by our students, who come from all over the world and from every part of the United States.
The effect is a student population that is globally aware and comfortable working with people of many different backgrounds—both key attributes for success in the workplace of today and tomorrow. CAS students tend to be curious people drawn to explore a diversity of outlooks and ways of seeing the world. This vibrancy enriches our academic community and often leads to cross-disciplinary learning and connections.
Habits of mind to last a lifetime
At CAS, you will learn how to examine, understand, and tackle the unpredictable challenges that will confront you throughout the course of your life and career. Your BU liberal arts and sciences education will build your confidence and abilities in the following areas:
- Problem-solving/critical thinking
- Communication skills
- Cultural and scientific literacy
- Research and information literacy
- Understanding of diverse perspectives
- Creative thinking
- Integrative thinking
- Philosophical/aesthetic and historical interpretation
- Quantitative reasoning
- Empathy, curiosity, and adaptability