- News & Events
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
This fall, BU students have a new go-to spot on campus for student services and resources: the state-of-the-art, LEED-quality Student Services Center (SSC) at 100 Bay State Road (at the corner of Deerfield Street near Kenmore Square). After a year of construction, the center has finally opened its doors.
For CAS undergraduates, the six-story, 99,600-square-foot center links complementary academic advising programs within a single building. The CAS Advising Center, Records Office, Pre-Professional Advising and the Office for Student Programs and Leadership occupy the 4th floor of the new building. In addition, the CAS Writing Program has moved to the 3rd floor of the SSC.
The new building also contains a dining hall that anchors student dining services in the East Campus area, replacing three undersized and outdated locations. The BU Center for Career Development and the Educational Resource Center also now reside at 100 Bay State Road on the 5th and 6th floors.
Dennis Carlberg, the University’s sustainability director, says the building will be 20 percent more energy efficient than most new construction and will feature cutting-edge, ecofriendly technology, including a green roof, an innovative cooling system that uses chilled beams instead of forced air, and a device used to extract water from composted food scraps to reduce weight and the cost of disposal. (BU pays per pound of trash or compost removed.) These and other green features, he says, should qualify the facility for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
The CAS programs listed below are now located in the Student Services Center, 100 Bay State Road:
• Writing Program, 3rd floor (formerly at 730 Commonwealth Avenue)
• Academic Advising Office, 4th floor, room 410 (formerly at 725 Commonwealth Ave., suite 105)
• Pre-Professional Advising Office, 4th floor, room 428 (formerly at 725 Commonwealth Ave., suite B02)
• Records Office, 4th floor, room 401 (formerly at 725 Commonwealth Ave., suite B03)
• Student Programs & Leadership, 4th floor, room 423 (formerly at 685 Commonwealth Ave., suite 130)
Other noteworthy CAS relocations
725 Commonwealth Avenue:
• The Boston University Humanities Center (BUCH) has moved from suite 107 to suite 105
• The Graduate Women in Science & Engineering (GWISE) and the Graduate Student Office (GSO) student groups now share room 102
• The CAS Communication Office has moved to suite 107 (formerly at 685 Commonwealth Ave., suite 130)
685 Commonwealth Avenue:
• CAS Earth and Environment Academic Advising now occupies suite 131
• Department of Earth and Environment administrative staff and chair have moved to suite 130 (formerly at 675 Commonwealth Avenue, suites STO457 and STO141)