How Do I Pay for All This?

There’s no way around it—an advanced degree is pricey. But there are ways you can help finance your education. Check out the list below for more information.

Fellowships + Grants
Fellowships and grants are based on academic achievement and are generally competitive. Some are portable—offered by an organization for study at any school—while others are institutional, which means they are offered by or for a particular university or department. Learn more: BU fellowships and grants.

Teaching Assistantships
Teaching assistantships generally require a commitment of 10–20 hours per week and involve assisting in, or teaching, undergraduate classes in your field.

Resident Assistantships
Resident assistantships involve working as a live-in assistant in an undergraduate residence hall. This option usually takes care of room and board, and requires a commitment of time availability to students.

Long-Term Educational Loans
Long-term educational loans are available through a variety of private and public lenders. Look into Stafford Student Loans, Perkins Loans, loan programs specific to your interest area, and loans from private lenders. Be sure to understand information on rates and repayment terms.

Employer-Funded Tuition Assistance
Employer-funded tuition assistance can be a great option if you want to go to school part-time. Most employers will expect that you are studying something relevant to your current career field, but not all will require this. Some employers have a waiting period for this benefit; others have a dollar limit per year. Talk to your supervisor or Human Resources representative.

  • Check each graduate school for program-specific options.

Other Resources:
Boston University Fellowships & Scholarships
Federal Student Aid—Graduate and Professional Students Financial Aid Information
Peterson’s Scholarship Search Engine
Princeton Review Scholarships & Financial Aid