BU Sargent College offers basic and advanced professional degree programs in more than fifteen specialized areas, including athletic training, speech, language and hearing sciences, health science, nutrition, occupational therapy, physical therapy, human physiology, and more. Visit the Programs section of the College’s website to learn more about the specific programs and degree offerings at BU Sargent College.
Of any single fund, the annual Sargent Fund has the greatest impact on our College. It supports our faculty, research, technology and course offerings and strengthens our ability to recruit and financially assist some of the brightest, most talented students in the field. Advantages like these help us maintain outstanding national rankings for our programs. As a result, our students and ultimately our alumni have a true competitive advantage.
More than 950 generous alumni and friends contributed to the annual Sargent Fund last year. Some say donating is their way of giving back for the personal and professional opportunities they found here. Some give to say “thank you” for the exceptional Sargent faculty and staff—or the support of their alumni predecessors. Others give for the future, to make an investment in excellent faculty, state-of-the art facilities, and the best educational experience for tomorrow’s students.
Programs and activities supported by the SAR Fund
Funds are used to provide immediate support when a student’s existing financial aid does not cover tuition or any unforeseen expenses.
Renovating and Upgrading Spaces
The College’s building, at 635 Commonwealth Avenue, is aging. In order to compete with similar institutions, continuous renovations and classroom upgrades must be made. These improvements create an environment conducive to teaching and learning for faculty and students, and provide a welcoming atmosphere to the various clients who attend Sargent College clinics. During the summer of 2008, the Makechnie Study Center underwent a complete renovation to provide a better space for students to study and collaborate with faculty on projects.
In order to provide cutting-edge equipment and technology, Sargent must upgrade and replace computers and other tools. It is important to expose students to the latest innovations to better prepare them for their careers. Immediate technology advancements include acquiring:
- An LED video and electronic information display system in the Makechnie Atrium that serves to welcome and direct Sargent College visitors and inform students of events
- “Smart” podiums, allowing faculty to control all media aspects of the classroom without interrupting class to set up equipment
Enhancing Student Life
- Featuring relevant guest speakers who enhance the educational experience
- To send students to conferences and exhibits that complement classroom learning, giving students a competitive edge
Improving Faculty Development
In an effort to attract and retain outstanding faculty members, the Sargent Fund provides:
- Start-up packages, seed money, and reduced teaching loads to help junior faculty launch their research careers
- Travel funds to help research and clinical faculty members enhance their educations by staying current in their fields
- Release time and summer salaries that allow faculty members to pursue their own scholarly interests