A message from Dean Lutchen
As we begin another academic year, I am proud to reflect on the latest good news from the College of Engineering. Here are a few highlights I am delighted to share:
- The incoming freshman class has an impressive average SAT score of 1454 (out of a possible 1600). In addition, 29% of the incoming class are female, and 20% are underrepresented minorities. (These statistics are of utmost importance to me!)
- ENG’s ranking in U.S. News &World Report has risen 19 places since 2005. We are now ranked 35th among all engineering schools and 15th among all private universities.
- Of our graduating seniors, 44 percent amplified their base degree by also completing a concentration, a minor, or a second major or a dual degree, and 50 percent took the unique Questrom School of Business course designed for engineers called The Business of Technology Innovation.
- We updated our curriculum to better prepare students for today’s data-sciences economy. All incoming students, regardless of major, will gain exposure to large datasets during their time at ENG.
- A record number of ENG students have benefitted from Societal Engineering experiences outside the classroom. They include serving as Ambassadors in the Technology Innovation Scholars Program, taking jobs in faculty research labs during the academic year and summer, and joining student clubs such as the BU Rocket Propulsion Group and Engineers Without Borders.
- We’ve raised nearly $1 million toward our $1.75 million goal for the new Biomedical Engineering Teaching & Innovation Center! We hope to reach our fundraising goal by the end of the year and start construction next summer.
Nearly all of these activities and more depend on your contributions to our Annual Fund. I thank you, but much more important, our students thank you. I use 100 percent of your gifts to support student programs and initiatives that are essential to the development of our Societal Engineers. Please join me in sustaining and expanding these opportunities for our deserving ENG students by giving to the Annual Fund. Your generosity helps make both the success of our students and the transformation of ENG possible.
With my personal thanks,
Kenneth R. Lutchen
Dean, College of Engineering
P.S. Please join us on campus Friday evening, September 15, for Alumni Weekend, including the ENG Celebration Dinner and Distinguished Alumni Awards. Visit bu.edu/eng/alumni/aw for details and to register.