April 15th, 2014

Running for Lu Lingzi

Seven earn Boston Marathon slots for slain student

Baiyun Yao and Lu Lingzi were much alike—both Chinese, both roughly the same age, and both on the adventure of an overseas education at BU. Both attended last year’s Boston Marathon, where their similarities ended.

Yao returned home. Lu didn’t.

“When I came back home, I got hundreds of phone calls, texts, and emails checking about me,” Yao (GRS’15) later wrote. “I felt that I was so lucky and so beloved; meanwhile, I also felt deeply sad and shocked that Lingzi, the other similar age Chinese student, got killed.…The reason we race isn’t so much to beat each other, but to be with each other.”

Those sentiments earned Yao one of seven spots (expanded from an original five) offered by the Lu family for BU community members in this year’s Marathon. The family was given the slots by the Boston Athletic Association as a tribute to their daughter, Lu Lingzi (GRS’13), who was one of three people killed in the Marathon bombings on April 15, 2013. The gift slots are exempt from the Marathon’s requirements of a qualifying time and a fundraising minimum.

Money raised by the seven for running the Marathon will go to the Lu Lingzi Scholarship Fund for graduate students. People wishing to donate to the runners may do so here (in the Comment section at the bottom of the form, name the runner on whose behalf you’re donating and the amount). Jeanne Knox, chairman of BU’s Parents Leadership Council, announced that the council will match, dollar for dollar, any contribution to the Scholarship Fund made on behalf of the seven runners.

Read more on BU Today.