Mental Health and Aging Issues
Social service practitioners usually receive little or no training in the mental health concerns that impact older adults. The prevalence of coexisting medical conditions, greater use of multiple medications, and stereotypes about aging are among the many issues that make mental health concerns of the older individual complex and particularly challenging. This course provides practitioners with fundamental knowledge of the signs and symptoms of common mental health concerns and the tools required to address their clients’ needs in this crucial realm.
Cost of Online Course: $120
Number of CEUs: 4
- Recognize common mental health conditions present in the older adult population.
- Describe the delivery of appropriate mental health services to older adults
- Use standardized diagnostic tools that are appropriate for older adults.
- Interpret the findings from mental health assessments
- Practice mental health assessments & interventions with older adults in a culturally competent manner
- Describe the most common legal and ethical issues related to aging and mental health