Category: Human Capital Management
Managers and Payroll Coordinators,
In response to community feedback, enhancements are being made to the Personnel Action (PA) and Organizational Management (OM) forms to improve overall usability and reporting capabilities. The first set of enhancements will be implemented and effective April 27. These changes are highlighted below. Additional enhancements are scheduled and will be announced in May.
Enhancements to PA Forms:
- “Position Revision” Form Renamed to “Employee Position Update”
The Position Revision form has been renamed to Employee Position Update to reduce confusion by more accurately describing the forms purpose. The effective date label which appeared on the forms has also been renamed to Employee Position Update Effective Date.
- “Percent Time Employed” Input Field Expanded to Include Two Decimals
The Percent Time Employed field now allows for the entry of two additional decimal places. This enhancement improves the calculation of annual salary, merit increases and reporting of hours. As changes are made to the time percentages, the “regular hours” fields will be updated on the relevant PA forms.
- Additional Reason Types Added to Forms – Quick Reference Information Available
A specific “reason” must be selected from a drop-down list when completing a Position Change, Transfer or Employee Position Update form. BUworks has added additional reason types for processing position changes, transfers and employee position updates. Quick reference information, which includes definitions of these reason types as well as guidance on when to use specific reasons, is available by clicking this link.
Enhancements to OM Forms:
- Enhancements to the Budget Tab
The following fields have been added to the Budget tab, Current Year Budget Amount, Recurring Budget Amount and Position Planning No. The Budget office will be maintaining these fields.
- Master Cost Center now appears on “Position Detail” tab
Previously, initiators could not enter a master cost center for a position on the OM form. Only the Budget office could maintain this information on a position. As part of this enhancement, master cost center now appears on the “Position Detail” tab so a user may enter a suggested master cost center. The Budget office has the ability to change the proposed master cost center if required.
If you have any questions please contact the IT Help Center at email@example.com or 617-353-4357.
Director, Human Capital Management
Payroll Coordinators, Readiness Leaders and Power Users —
This update is to inform you that minor changes are being implemented to the Personnel Action forms effective March 8. These enhancements are being made in response to requests from end users to reduce the complexity, and improve usability, of the forms.
Enhancements to Termination Form
- To simplify the Termination form, the following date fields have been removed:
- Last Day Paid
- Last Day Worked
- Paid in Lieu of Work
- Pay Through Date
- The “Date of Action” field has been re-labeled “Termination Date” (which is still considered the last day the employee was employed at Boston University); the “Action Reason” field has been re-labeled “Termination Reason”.
- If the employee is monthly-paid, the “Start Date” for the Accrued Vacation Pay will default to the “Termination Date”. As always, if the employee is weekly-paid the department will need to execute the amount to be paid through PA61, Infotype 416.
Enhancements to Salary Cost Distribution Form
Many users have requested more visibility on salary cost distributions currently on an employee record. Departments can now view all sets of cost distributions for an employee before they submit a new cost distribution form. You can easily access the salary cost distribution display from a link on the cost distribution form date selection.
If you have any questions on the form enhancements, please contact the IT Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-353-4357.
Director, Human Capital Management
As previously communicated, several enhancements are being implemented to the Create/Maintain/Delimit Position forms. These enhancements will be released tomorrow March 1, along with integrated OpenHire functionality.
- Users can now attach position-relevant documents to OM Position forms.
- Central HR will use information from the OM Position forms to integrate data with OpenHire, the University’s applicant tracking system, to streamline the position posting process. Departments are now able to submit an initial draft of the web posting description and requirements for their position.
- Key data fields have either been added, or relabeled, to make the forms easier to use.
- The Temporary Position option has been re-labeled to ensure its intended purpose, which is to identify a position as an overlap when two employees are temporarily sharing the same position.
- To eliminate confusion, the Post Position checkbox is now presented as three radio button options, enabling users to select if the position should be opened for hire, recruitment or neither.
- New data fields, providing such information as hiring manager’s name, phone number and email, will support the HR Recruitment process.
Training and Support
- The BUworks Training team is continuing to conduct webinars as well as instructor-led labs conducted on both the Charles River and Medical campuses through Friday, March 9. These training sessions are intended for employees who complete Organization Management (OM) forms today via the Manager Self-Service and Payroll Coordinator tabs on the BUworks Central portal.
- Access Training Manager to view the training schedule and register for an upcoming webinar or lab.
- View or print the updated Quick Reference Guides:
Should you have any questions please contact Jeff Small, Time Management Administrator at 617-358-4817.
If you have any questions on the OM forms, please contact the IT Help Center at email@example.com or 617-353-4357.
Payroll Coordinators and Managers–
BUworks will be implementing several enhancements to the Create/Maintain/Delimit Position forms in early March. The BUworks Training team will conduct webinars and instructor-led labs on both the CRC and BUMC campuses. These training sessions are intended for employees who complete Organizational Management (OM) forms today via the Manager Self-Service and Payroll Coordinator tabs on the BUworks Central portal.
What Will Be Covered:
The training sessions will cover:
- Organizational Management form enhancements – changes to the Create Position and Maintain Position Changes tabs
- OpenHire functionality is integrated into the OM forms (i.e., option to post to HR website with position description information). If the candidate is hired through the posting and online application, information will be imported into the Hiring form.
- Relabeling of existing fields and additional new fields for improved usability
- Adding attachments to the create, maintain and delimit position forms
Webinar and lab sessions will cover the same material. Register for one session only. Space is limited.
Note: Please register for one session only.
Webinars: (90 min.)
Instructor-led Labs: (2 hours)
Online reference documents will be available when the enhancements are implemented:
- An overview and description of the changes to the OM forms
- Specific, step-by step “quick reference guides” on how to complete the forms
If you have questions regarding the registration process, please contact Victor Botvinnik at 617-358-6850.
All employees who have been on the University payroll during 2011 will receive a W-2 Wage and Tax Statement listing their 2011 earnings as reported to the Internal Revenue Service. W-2s will be mailed to employee’s home addresses (as listed in Employee Self-Service) no later than January 31, 2012.
In the future, we plan to have W-2 statements online and easily accessible through the BUworks Central portal. If you have questions or need assistance on W-2s, please contact BU Payroll at 617-353-2270 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Boston University Payroll
We will be implementing relatively minor enhancements to the Leave of Absence Form on Wednesday, Jan. 25. The form field specifying the type of leave has been modified to make it easier to indicate leave status. The form changes are illustrated below.
After Jan. 25 changes
If you have any questions on the LOA form changes, please contact Paulomi Joshi at 8-6063 email@example.com.
Director, Human Capital Management
Based on feedback from managers, payroll coordinators, and financial administrators who use the MSS Request Tracking application to monitor the status of HR, Payroll, and financial transactions, BUworks will release enhancements to the MSS Request Tracking application on December 21. These changes, noted below, are designed to improve performance and usability.
Previously, all BUworks transactions that were submitted since July 1, 2011 (go-live) were displayed in a user’s tracking window at login. This often resulted in slow response times and cumbersome scrolling for specific, recently submitted transactions.
- Request Tracking will now display all transactions for a rolling 30-day period. Only the transactions initiated in the last 30 days from the user’s current login date will be loaded and displayed.
- Users will still have the ability to search for transactions that are older than 30 days by entering a tracking number or by searching by dates and/or request type.
Please note: Open searches with no dates, tracking number, or request type are not recommended, because this may slow down system performance when a user has many historical transactions available.
- Also, ten rows of transactions will be displayed in Request Tracking instead of the five rows that were previously displayed.
If you have questions about these changes, please submit a Help Desk ticket and a BUworks representative will respond as soon as possible.
Director, HCM Business Process Support
Timekeepers and Managers: As we approach the holidays and intersession there will be a number of early time entry deadlines. Prior to the early deadlines, managers (and in their absence, timekeepers) must release future time for weekly-paid employees in order for the employee to receive their full week’s pay. In SAP time capture employees cannot release future time.
Please refer to the intersession memo and quick reference guide for details on time entry deadlines.
- Time Entry Deadlines For 2011 Intersession – December 6, 2011
- 2011 Intersession Quick Reference Guide – December 6, 2011
Based on input from payroll coordinators, enhancements have been made to improve the process for replacing, changing, and inserting cost distributions without negatively impacting other existing cost distributions. This functionality has been moved into production and can now be used to more easily fix or change incorrect salary cost distributions, both retro-actively and prospectively.
Quick Reference Guides to explain these changes in greater detail can be found on the BUworks website through the following links.
Managers and Timekeepers
As we approach the holiday season there will be a number of early payroll deadlines. In SAP, weekly paid employees can enter time in advance but cannot release future time. Prior to these early deadlines, it is important that managers (and in their absence, timekeepers) release future employee time for weekly-paid employees to receive their full week’s pay. Please make note of the time entry deadlines and time correction information provided in the document below.
To see TIME ENTRY DEADLINES and CORRECTIONS TO TIME SUBMITTED see Full Post:
Thanksgiving Full Post – November 17, 2011
Thanksgiving Quick Reference Guide – November 17, 2011
If you have any questions please contact Jeff Small, Time Management Administrator at 617-358-4817, firstname.lastname@example.org