Readiness Leaders and Power Users
With help from BUworks, Accounts Payable, and the Financial Affairs Systems Group, and responding to the many and enthusiastic requests we have had from departmental administrators, we are pleased to be bringing back the Document Control number for travel and expense advances or reimbursements and non-PO disbursements.
Beginning today, when you go to the Financial Affairs “forms” web page, and download one of these forms, the form will be generated with a unique document control number, and when you complete the form and forward it to Accounts Payable, the AP staff will enter the number into the newly designated “Document Control Number” field in SAP.
The “drilldown to detailed transaction” option contained in the new family of FM reports, as described at the Management Conference last week, will includes the Document Control Number. In addition, as soon as departments begin using the pre-numbered forms (be sure to download a new form for each new request), if you have your document control number, and your transaction has been entered into SAP by Accounts Payable, the AP team will be able to locate your document for you in the system and let you know its status.
Thank you again for all your patience and help as we work to make our new system better.
881 Commonwealth Avenue
Shoppers and Approvers
In response to customer feedback, development of a new “Order Tracking” report has been completed. This new report provides users the ability to:
Verify whether a Purchase Order has been sent to a supplier
- Display Shopping Cart and Purchase Order information for authorized fund centers including:
- Related Invoices
- Ability to drill down to PO status detail report.
- Variable Screen allows filtering by:
- Specific shopping cart or purchase order
- Cost Object (Fund Center, Order, WBS Element)
The data in the report is refreshed overnight, therefore the detail for a PO created today will be available tomorrow.
Click here for instructions on how to access and run this report.
If you have any questions please contact the IT Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-353-4357.
The following presentations were delivered to the Comptroller’s Office March 29, 2012 by the BUworks Training Team.
BUworks, General Accounting and Facilities Management & Planning have been working to provide departments more detail about distributed charges by Facilities. We realize the information provided last week did not supply the level of detail one would have expected. Given the level of complexity of merging Facilities data with SAP, information about services or projects undertaken since Go-Live through February have minimal detail to reconcile your accounts. To help you reconcile expenses:
- Facilities has created reports in the FSR system that is managed outside of SAP by FM&P’s CAMMS. This will allow end users to see costs through February 15. With or without FSR numbers, end users can find all information including cost object (internal order or cost center), requestor, address and/or shop.
- Those without access to the FSR system should contact Zhonghong Peng at email@example.com
We are currently working on a new BW report that will provide the necessary information currently not available on the FM reports. We are evaluating posting options so that future distributions will include a level of detail needed to reconcile your accounts.
The settlement process for FSRs includes multiple steps. The first step was to post expenses – as done last week. The next step is to remove funds reservations and update commitments which were processed last night. For example, if a project or service was estimated to cost $500, but actually only cost $400, currently they are seeing the entire $500 on their books. Although $100 should have been returned, we are working to make this happen.
As we have all learned, BU’s transition to SAP is a work in progress. With this work in progress will come many questions from departments. Our time will focus on bringing resolution to this process.
Questions regarding the distribution of costs should be addressed to the following:
- For operations and custodial charges, contact Justin Martin at 617-358-6896.
- For construction and planning & design charges, contact Gregg Snyder at 617-353-6529.
For questions on how charges were distributed to each account, please contact Ming Huang at 617-353-9162.
Facilities, Management and Planning (FM&P) has been working diligently with BUworks to make sure facilities charges will hit accounts by the end of February. The process to achieve this goal took longer than originally anticipated. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience it may have created.
Charges will hit in SAP today, and be available for viewing in BW reporting tomorrow, Thursday, March 1, 2012.
Offices with questions on how charges were distributed to each account should contact Ming Huang at 617-353-9162.
The BUworks Finance and Training teams made a presentation on Journal Entries at the Medical Campus during the weekly BUMC Forum.
GL_Journal Entries – A. Gil/D. Johnson/I. Garrant, March 7, 2012
For your convenience the newly modified Internal Service Provider Upload Template is available at any time in the BUworks website in User Tools section.
Internal Service Requestors, Providers, Readiness Leaders and Power Users –
Improvements have been made to internal service request functionality. These improvements are summarized below and include functionality used by both internal service requestors and providers. The changes are effective today – March 9th, 2012.
Internal Service Requestors
- The Internal Service Request (ISR) form will now display a date and time stamp, as well as requestor/user name. The form will also stamp when the ISR is modified and by whom.
Internal Service Providers
- Providers are now able to complete the fulfillment of multiple Internal Service Requests and charges via one consolidated spreadsheet instead of one spreadsheet per provider.NOTE: This modification will change the fulfillment upload file format. See step-by-step work instructions to completing this upload https://prw.buw.bu.edu/gm/folder-1.11.10950?mode=EU
- Providers now have the ability to process credit adjustments to open Internal Service Requests.
- Journal entries will still be required to process adjustments to closed Internal Service Requests
Information about training available will follow shortly.
Director, BUworks Financial Systems
General Ledger account descriptions are now available on the Comptroller’s website at http://www.bu.edu/cfo/comptroller/resources/. The workbook contains descriptions of all income and expense general ledger accounts.
New Quick Reference Guides for Processing Recurring Payments, Additional Payments and Salary Cost Distributions
BUworks has implemented enhancements to the Personnel Administration (PA) forms for Recurring Payments, Additional Payments and Salary Cost Distributions. Please reference the following quick reference guides:
- Quick Reference Guide: Personnel Administration – Completing a Recurring Payments Form
- Quick Reference Guide: Personnel Administration – Completing an Additional Payments Form
- Quick Reference Guide: Personnel Administration – Completing a Salary Cost Distribution Form
The Recurring Payments, Additional Payments and Salary Cost Distribution forms are accessed and completed via the BUworks Central portal and the Manager Self Service and/or Payroll Coordinator tabs.