Category: BUworks – General
BUworks is currently unavailable for routine technical maintenance during our normal change window. We apologize for any inconvenience. The system should be back up and available by 4:00 pm today.
A schedule of upcoming training sessions is now available via the IS&T Training Calendar. Details are provided on the BUworks Training Schedule page.
BUworks will be unavailable from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM on Sunday, October 14th, due to scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Please contact the IT Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (617)353-HELP (4357) if you have any problems or questions.
BUworks will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m on Sunday, September 9th.
BUworks will be unavailable from 12:00 a.m. (midnight) on 8/26/ to 4:00 a.m., due to hardware repair. Please contact the IT Help Center if you have any problems or questions – email@example.com or 617-353-4357.
UPDATE: Business Warehouse (BW) Cycle Improvements and Initiation of the Cycle Optimization Project
Within the past few weeks, the BW team has worked to identify and test a series of improvements that will increase the efficiency and timeliness of the nightly BW data load cycle for reporting.
Below is a list of BW nightly load cycle improvements that will be migrated to production this weekend. As a result of these improvements, we expect the cycle to improve by at least one hour; with a regular completion time well before 8:00AM. This change is being implemented in advance of the work to be done as part of the Cycle Optimization Project (described further below) where we anticipate additional improvements as we proceed in conjunction with BUworks, mainframe, and other teams to improve efficiencies and interdependencies of the entire end-to-end nightly process.
Initial cycle improvements being put in place this weekend include:
1. Optimization of Some SRM Data Load Code– Brings the total runtime for a particular process down from 4 hours to 4 minutes.
2. Elimination of Unnecessary Steps of the Load Cycle– Saves approx. 90 minutes of time and allows new Phase3 PBC reporting loads to finish by 6:30AM (estimated).
3. Introduction of New Text “Scrub” Transformation Routine– Removes erroneous character-set issues that otherwise cause load failures and create a hard-stop in the cycle. This occurred previously if illegitimate characters were passed from the data source into the Business Warehouse (where such data issues cause failures). This one change should greatly improve the reliability and likelihood of full cycle completion.
4. Grants Management (GM) Loads to Start Approx. 2 Hours Earlier– After consulting with functional teams, we are moving the Grants Management (GM) loads to start almost 2 hours earlier; now at 1:30AM. As such, this takes fuller advantage of parallel processing and should yield a significantly earlier delivery of GM reporting.
5. Code Review and Improvements of 2 HCM Processes– Will reduce related load processing time by approximately 45 minutes
6. Introduction of Analytical Metric Tracking and Statistics Enhancements– To better capture and understand the dynamics and trends of load cycles
In addition to these improvements, the Cycle Optimization Project has begun this week. It is a targeted project to have the entire BW cycle fully optimized. The BW Team has been augmented with additional resources to assist with this effort and there is an equivalent effort with up-stream SAP processes. It is anticipated that the full set of long-term BW cycle improvements will be in place by mid-October.
The long term goal being pursued collectively among all BUworks functional teams, the BW reporting team, and representatives from mainframe and other integrated system processes, is to achieve an end-to-end event-driven process with greatly improved cycle monitoring and management routines.
Due to a scheduled maintenance update, BUworks will be unavailable on Sunday, August 12, from 8am thru 6pm. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Due to scheduled power maintenance, BUworks will be unavailable from 6pm on Saturday, 8/4, until 12pm on Sunday, 8/5.
It has been almost two months since the transition of Departmental Security Administrators (DSAs) requesting SAP security access. The BUworks Security Team has developed a “hands on” classroom training to introduce the new DSA Org Role Report and to follow up with any questions DSAs may have about the current process. This session is optional and seating is limited.
This session introduces the new DSA Org Role Report (report based on role access for a specific org unit) and offers a Q&A session where DSAs can ask questions and get a refresher on how the SAP functionality works.
Tammy Pruneau, BUworks Security
Charles River Campus – SMG Room 314 (595 Commonwealth Avenue)
· July 23 MON 2:00 – 4:00 PM
· July 24 TUE 2:00 – 4:00 PM
· July 26 THU 2:00 – 4:00 PM
· July 30 MON 10:00 – 12:00 PM
As this is a hands on session, there is a 28 person limit per session. The link to register. The session name is ‘DSA SAP Refresher Training and Q&A Session’. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact BUworks Security at BUW-TECH-GRC@bu.edu.
BUworks Power Users
The Technical Team has made an adjustment to the BUworks Central portal which will greatly reduce proxy related gateway errors. Please accept our apologies for the extended inconvenience. If you experience a significant number of these proxy errors in the future, please contact the IT Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617)353-HELP (4357). Thank you.