Craig S. Ross, PhD, MBA
“My training through BURPPE provided me with access to extraordinary teachers and mentors. I’ve used my training to build a successful research career as well as to start a business focused on health literacy.”
After being awarded his doctorate in Epidemiology through the BURPPE training program, Dr. Ross received grant funding to continue his work examining the influence of alcohol advertising on underage drinking, health effects of electronic cigarettes and other vaping devices, and firearms. He is conducting his research at Boston University School of Public Health’s Epidemiology Department where he has been appointed a faculty position. Most recently, Dr. Ross has begun research on vulnerable subpopulations, particularly immigrants.
Dr. Ross’s research focuses on adolescent health behaviors, primarily substance use initiation. He has also published research on the association between alcohol advertising and underage drinking, alcohol brands consumed by underage drinkers, mood and substance use, as well as population-level analyses of gun ownership and gun deaths. Dr. Ross’s research on underage drinker’s selection of specific alcoholic beverages to drink was awarded the New Investigator Award by the Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine.
Dr. Ross is also an entrepreneur, having founded Fiorente Media, Inc., a company focused in publishing health news and information with the goal of increasing health literacy and using media to improve public health. Learn more at www.fiorente.tv.
Craig’s primary research interest is adolescent development and risk factors contributing to adolescent behavioral health problems. His dissertation title is Testing Components of a Model of Adolescent Alcohol and Marijuana Initiation and for his dissertation he collaborated with researchers at the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Boston Children’s Hospital.
Competitive Awards and Honors
- Finalist, Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine New Investigator Award, 2011
- Finalist, Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine New Investigator Award, 2012
- Best Research Presentation, PhD Division, Fall 2013 Research Symposium, Boston University School of Public, 2013
- Finalist, Innovative Methods in Epidemiologic Doctoral Research, Society of Epidemiologic Research, 2013
- Winner, Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine New Investigator Award, 2014
- Nominee from Boston University Medical School/School of Public Health for NIH Director’s Early Independence Award, 2015
- Jernigan DH, Ostroff J, Ross C, O’Hara J, Sex Differences in Adolescent Exposure to Alcohol Advertising in Magazines. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 2004;158:629-634.
- Jernigan DH, Ostroff J, Ross C. Alcohol Advertising and Youth: A Measured Approach. Journal of Public Health Policy, 2005;26: 312-325.
- Siegel M, King C, Ostroff J, Ross C, Dixon K. Comment—Alcohol Advertising in Magazines and Youth Readership: Are Youths Disproportionately Exposed? Contemporary Economic Policy, 2008;26:482-492.
- King III C, Siegel M, Wulach L, Ostroff J, Ross C, Dixon, K, Jernigan DH. Adolescent Exposure to Alcohol Advertising in Magazines: An Evaluation of Brand-Specific Advertising in Relation to Youth Readership. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2009 Dec;45(6):626-33.
- Chung P, Garfield C, Jernigan D, Ross C, Ostroff J, Elliott M, Schuster M, Vestal K. Association between Adolescent Viewership and Alcohol Advertising on Cable Television. American Journal of Public Health, 2010 Mar;100(3):555-562.
- Jernigan DH, Ross CS. Monitoring Youth Exposure to Advertising on Television: The Devil is in the Details, Journal of Public Affairs, 2010 Feb-May; 10(3):36-49.
- Schwartz M, Ross C, Harris J, Ostroff J, Jernigan D, Brownell K. Breakfast cereal industry pledges to self-regulate advertising to youth: Will they improve the marketing landscape?, Journal of Public Health Policy. 2010;31:59-73.
- Binakonsky J, Giga NM, Ross C, Siegel M. Jello shot consumption among older adolescents: A pilot study of a newly identified public health problem. Substance Use and Misuse. 2010;46(6):828-35.
- Giga N, Binakonsky J, Ross C, Siegel M. The Nature and Extent of Flavored Alcoholic Beverage Consumption among Underage Youth: Results of a National Brand-Specific Survey. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 2011;37:229–234.
- Ross C, Ancoli-Israel S, Redline S, et al. Association between insomnia symptoms and weight change in older women: caregiver-study of osteoporotic fractures study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2011 Sep;59(9):1697-1704.
- Siegel M, DeJong W, Naimi TS, Heeren T, Rosenbloom DL, Ross C, Ostroff J & Jernigan DH. Alcohol brand preferences of underage youth: results from a pilot survey among a national sample. Substance abuse : official publication of the Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse 2011 Oct;32(4):191-201.
- Ross CS, de Bruijn A, Jernigan DH. Do time restrictions on alcohol advertising reduce youth exposure? Journal of Public Affairs 2013;13(1):123-129.
- Siegel M, DeJong W, Naimi TS, Fortunato EK, Albers AB, Heeren T, Rosenbloom D, Ross C, Ostroff J, Rodkin S, King C 3rd, Borzekowski DLG, Rimal RN, Padon AA, Eck RH, Jernigan D. Brand-Specific Consumption of Alcohol Among Underage Youth in the United States. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 2013 Jul;37(7):1195-1203.
- Siegel MB, Ross CS, King C, 3rd. The Relationship Between Gun Ownership and Firearm Homicide Rates in the United States, 1981–2010. American Journal of Public Health 2013 Nov;103(11):2098-2105.
- Siegel M, Ross CS, King III C. A New Proxy Measure for State-Level Gun Ownership in Studies of Firearm Injury Prevention. Injury Prevention. Published Online First: 16 August 2013 doi:1136/injuryprev-2013-040853.
- Fortunato EK, Siegel M, Ramirez RL, Ross C, DeJong W, Albers AB, Jernigan DH. Brand-specific consumption of flavored alcoholic beverages among underage youth in the United States. American Journal of Drug & Alcohol Abuse. 2014;40(1):51-57.
- Ross CS, Ostroff J, Jernigan DH. Evidence of Targeting of Alcohol Advertising on Television in the United States: Lessons from the Lockyer v. Reynolds Decisions. Journal of Public Health Policy. 2014;35(1):105-118.
- Siegel M, Chen K, DeJong W, Naimi TS, Ostroff J, Ross C, Jernigan DH. Differences in Alcohol Brand Consumption Between Underage Youth and Adults – United States, 2012. Substance Abuse. 2014: Online 3 Feb 2014; DOI: 10.1080/08897077.2014.883344.
- Ross CS, Ostroff J, Siegel MB, Dejong W, Naimi TS, Jernigan DH. Youth Alcohol Brand Consumption and Exposure to Brand Advertising in Magazines. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 2014;74(4): 615-622.
- Siegel M, Ross CS, King III C. Examining the relationship between the prevalence of guns and homicide rates in the United States using a new and improved state-level gun ownership proxy. Injury Prevention. 2014;20(6): 424-426.
- Siegel M, NegussieY, Vanture S, Pleskunas J, Ross CS, King III C. The Relationship between Gun Ownership and Stranger and Non-Stranger Firearm Homicide Rates in the United States, 1981-2010. American Journal of Public Health. 2014;104(10): 1912-1919.
- Ross CS, Maple E, Siegel M, DeJong W, Naimi T, Ostroff J, Padon AA, Borzekowski DLG, Jernigan DH. The Relationship between Brand-Specific Alcohol Advertising on Television and Brand-Specific Consumption among Underage Youth. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2014;38(8):2234-2242.
- Shrier LA, Ross CS, Scherer EA. Momentary Positive and Negative Affect Preceding Marijuana Use Events in Youth. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 2014;75(5):781-789.
- Christensen C, Bickham DS, Ross CS, Rich M. Multitasking with Television Among Adolescents. Journal of Broadcast & Electronic Media. 59;1:130-148. DOI: 10.1080/08838151.2014.998228.
- Borzekowski D, Ross C, Dejong W, Siegel MB, Jernigan DH. Patterns of Media Use and Alcohol Brand Consumption among Underage Drinking Youth in the U.S. Journal of Health Communications. 2015;20(30): 314-320.
- Ross CS, Ostroff J, Naimi TS, et al. Selection of Branded Alcoholic Beverages by Underage Drinkers. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2015;56:564-570.
- Siegel MB, Ross CS, Albers AB, DeJong W, King III C, Naimi TS, Jernigan DH. The Relationship between Exposure to Brand-Specific Alcohol Advertising and Brand-Specific Consumption among Underage Drinkers—United States, 2011-2012. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. Online 8/15/15.
- Albers, A. B., Siegel, M., Ramirez, R. L., Ross, C., DeJong, W., & Jernigan, D. H. (2015). Flavored Alcoholic Beverage Use, Risky Drinking Behaviors, and Adverse Outcomes Among Underage Drinkers: Results From the ABRAND Study. American Journal of Public Health. 2015;105, 810-815. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2014.302349.
- Ross CS, Sparks A, Jernigan DH. Assessing the Impact of Stricter Alcohol Advertising Standards: The Case of Beam Global Spirits. Journal of Public Affairs. Online 9/30/15.
- Ross C, Brewer R, Jernigan D. The Potential Impact of a “No-Buy” List on Youth Exposure to Alcohol Advertising on Cable Television. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 2016;77(1):7-16.
- Siegel, MB, Galloway A, Ross CS, Binakonsky J, Jernigan DH. Jello Shot Consumption Among Underage Youths in the United States. J Child Adol Subst Abuse. 2016;Published Online Feb 18.
- Naimi TS, Ross CS, et al. Amount of Televised Alcohol Advertising Exposure and the Quantity of Alcohol Consumed by Youth. J Stud Alc Drugs. In Press.
- Jernigan DH, Ross CS, Ostroff J. TV Ad Purchasing Regulation Analysis: 15% 12-20 Threshold. Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, Washington, DC, September, 2005.
- Ostroff J, Ross CS, Jernigan DH. Alcohol Advertising 101. National Association of Attorneys General Youth Access to Alcohol Task Force Advertising Subcomittee, San Francisco, CA, December, 2006.
- Ross CS, Ostroff J, Jernigan DH. Exposure to Advertising for Alcohol and Food. Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Economics, Washington, DC, September, 2007
- Siegel M, King C, Ross C, Ostroff J, Jernigan DH. Alcohol Advertising in Magazines: Are Youth Disproportionately Exposed? American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA, October 27, 2008.
- Ross CS, Ostroff J, Jernigan DH. Adolescent Exposure to Pharmaceutical and OTC Remedy Advertising. White House Office on National Drug Control Policy, Washington, DC, November, 2009.
- Siegel M, DeJong W, Fortunato EK, Johnson A, DiLoreto J, Ross C, Heeren T, Naimi TS. Descriptive epidemiology of brand-specific alcohol use among underage youths. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. Denver, CO, November 9, 2010.
- Bickham DS, Ross C, Heymann G, Rich M. Measuring young adolescents’ media exposure: Comparing the estimates of two methods and their associations to the time young people spend with their peers. Biennial meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development, Montreal, Canada, March 2011.
- Ross CS, Bickham DS, Shrier LA, Rich MO. Media Involvement and Alcohol Outcomes Among Young Adolescents. Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, March 2011. [NOMINATED FOR NEW INVESTIGATOR AWARD]
- Ross CS, Weinberg J, Walls CE, Shrier LA. Positive and Negative Affect Following Marijuana Use: An Ecological Momentary Assessment Study in Adolescents and Young Adults. Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 2012. [NOMINATED FOR NEW INVESTIGATOR AWARD]
- Ross CS, Ostroff J, Jernigan DH. Three Strategies to Improve Alcohol Industry Placement Compliance on Television. Alcohol Policy 16, Washington, DC, April 2013.
- Ross CS, Ostroff J, Jernigan DH. Evidence of underage targeting of alcohol advertising on television in the United States: Lessons from the Lockyer v. Reynolds Decisions. Alcohol Policy 16, Washington, DC, April 2013.
- Sparks A, Ross CS, Jernigan DH. Assessing Compliance with Beam Inc. Voluntary Advertising Standard. Alcohol Policy 16, Washington, DC, April 2013.
- Cukier S, Eck R, Ross CS, Borzikowski D, Jernigan DH. Pilot Study: D‘Oh! Homer never has a hangover and Marge always takes him back. Alcohol Policy 16, Washington, DC, April 2013.
- Ross CS, Sargent JD, Jernigan DH, Siegel MB, Tanski SE, Weinberg J, Shrier LA, Aschengrau A, Brooks D. Early adolescent exposure to low levels of alcohol advertising associated with increased risk of alcohol initiation. Global Alcohol Policy Conference 2013, Seoul, Korea, October 2013.
- Ross CS, Shrier LS, Weinberg J, Aschengrau A, Siegel MB, Brooks D. Positive and Negative Affect Following Marijuana Use: A Case-crossover Study Embedded within an Ecological Momentary Assessment Design. 3rd Annual SERdigital Web Meeting – Innovative Methods in Epidemiology Doctoral Research, November 6, 2013 [FINALIST].
- Ross CS, Naimi TS, Dejong W, Siegel MB, Ostroff J, Jernigan DH. Selection of Branded Alcoholic Beverages by Underage Drinkers. Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine Annual Meeting, Austin, TX March 2014. [WINNER NEW INVESTIGATOR AWARD]
- Ross CS, Siegel MS, Naimi TS, DeJong W, Jernigan DH. Kids Drink Brands: Understanding the Association between the Branded Advertising Kids See and Underage Drinking. Alcohol Policy 17, Washington DC, April 2016.
- Ross CS, Bickham DS, Shrier LA, Rich MO. Media Involvement and Alcohol Initiation among Young Adolescents: A Prospective Study Using Measuring Youth Media Exposure (MYME), Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 2012.
- Christensen C, Bickham D, Ross C, Rich M. Viewing Context Predicts Adolescents’ Attention to Television. APS Annual Convention, Washington DC, May 2013.
- Shrier LA, Ross CS, Blood E. Momentary positive and negative affect preceding marijuana use events in youth. 2013 meeting of the Society for Ambulatory Assessment, Amsterdam.
- Cukier S, Eck R, Ross CS, Borzikowski D, Jernigan DH. D‘Oh! Homer never has a hangover and Marge always takes him back. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, November 2013.
- Ross CS, Ostroff J, Jernigan DH. Strategies for reducing youth exposure to alcohol advertising on cable television in the United States. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, November 2013
- Sparks AC, Ross CS, Jernigan DH. A better advertising standard? An analysis of the compliance of Beam Inc. alcohol brands with the company’s voluntary placement restrictions. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, November 2013
- Ross CS, Sargent JD, Jernigan DH, Siegel MB, Tanski SE, Weinberg J, Shrier LA, Aschengrau A, Brooks D. Alcohol advertising and Alcohol Initiation. Boston University School of Public Health Research Day, Boston, MA, November 2013. [WINNER – PhD CATEGORY BEST POSTER]
- Ross CS, Jernigan DH. Monitoring Alcohol Advertising to Reduce Youth Exposure: A Public Health Strategy. Alcohol Policy 17, Washington DC, April 2016.
- Statistics for Epidemiology, Fall 2009
- Cohort Studies, Fall 2009
- Case-Control Studies, Fall 2009
- Logistic Regression and Survival Analysis, Spring 2010
- Guided Epidemiology Study, Spring 2010
- Modern Epidemiology, Fall 2010
- Bayesian Modeling for Biomedical Research, Fall 2010
- Correlated Data Analysis, Spring 2011
- Advanced Epidemiology Seminar, Spring 2011