Kelly Diringer Getz, MPH, PhD
“The BURPPE journal club has been a great opportunity for the trainees to discuss advanced study design and statistical methods as they relate to perinatal and pediatric epidemiology.”
Kelly obtained a B.S. in biology from Millersville University in 1997. From 1997 to 2009, she worked as a Pharmacometrician for GlaxoSmithKline, Eli Lilly, and Pfizer performing population pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling and simulation. In May 2009, Kelly obtained her MPH from Boston University, and she started her doctoral studies in September. Kelly worked as an intern at the MDPH on the National Birth Defects Prevention Study, examining risk factors for a range of birth defects and other reproductive outcomes. Her thesis used data from the UK’s Clinical Practice Research Datalink to examine maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index, and maternal autoimmune disorders and infections in relation to risk of autism spectrum disorders in children. She also used data from the Massachusetts Early Intervention program and vital statistics linked via the Pregnancy to Early Life Longitudinal data system to evaluate interpregnancy intervals and history of pregnancy loss in relation to autism spectrum disorders. At present, Kelly was recently promoted to Senior Research Scientist at the Research Institute of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia within the Division of Oncology & The Center for Pediatric Research.
Kelly’s research interests include nutritional deficiencies and birth defects etiology, medications as risk factors for adverse reproductive outcomes, and infertility and its treatment. Her thesis addresses the maternal cytokine storm hypothesis for autism etiology.
- Taylor TJ, Diringer KA, Russell T, Venkatakrishnan K, Wilner K, Crownover P, Benincosa LJ, Gibbs MA. Absolute Oral Bioavailability of Traxoprodil in Cytochrome P450 2D6 Extensive and Poor Metabolisers. Clinical Pharmacokinetics. 2006;45(10):989-1001.
- Getz KD, Janulewicz PA, Rowe S, Weinberg JM, Winter MR, Martin BR, Vieira, MV, White RF, Aschengrau A. Prenatal and early childhood exposure to tetrachloroethylene and adult vision. Environ Health Perspect 2012; 120(9):1327-1332.
- Getz KD, Anderka MT, Werler MM, Case AP. Short interpregnancy interval and gastroschisis risk in the National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2012;94(9):714-720.
- Lin AE, Krikov S, Riehle-Colarusso T, Frías JL, Belmont J, Anderka MT, Geva T, Getz KD, Botto LD. Laterality defects in the National Birth Defects Prevention Study (1998-2007): birth prevalence and descriptive epidemiology. Am J Med Genet 2014;164A(10):2581-91.
- Liberman RF, Getz KD, Lin AE, Sekhavat S, Markenson GR, Smith LA, Anderka MT. Delayed diagnosis of critical congenital heart defects: trends and associations. Pediatrics 2014;134(2):e373-81.
- Getz KD, Li Y, Alonzo TA, Hall M, Gerbing R, Sung L, Huang Y-S, Arnold S, Seif A, Miller T, Bagatell R, Fisher B, Adamson P, Gamis A, Keren R, Aplenc R. Cost of treatment for pediatric patients with acute myeloid leukemia: a report from the Children’s Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015;62(10):1775-81.
- Li Y, Hall M, Fisher BT, Seif AE, Huang YS, Bagatell R, Getz KD, Alonzo TA, Gerbing RB, Sung L, Adamson PC, Gamis A, Aplenc R. Merging Children’s Oncology Group data with an external administrative database using indirect patient identifiers: a report from the Children’s Oncology Group. PLoS One 2015;10(11):e0143480.
- Getz KD, Miller TP, Seif AE, Li Y, Huang YS, Bagatell R, Fisher BT, Aplenc R. A comparison of resource utilization following chemotherapy for acute myeloid leukemia in children discharged versus children that remain hospitalized during neutropenia. Cancer Med 2015;4(9):1356-64.
- Miller TP, Getz KD, Kavcic M, Li Y, Huang YV, Sung L, Alonzo TA, Gerbing R, Daves M, Horton TM, Pulsipher MA, Pollard J, Bagatell R, Seif AE, Fisher BT, Gamis AS, Aplenc R. A comparison of discharge strategies after chemotherapy completion in pediatric patients with acute myeloid leukemia: a report from the Children’s Oncology Group. Leuk Lymphoma. 2016;4:1-8.
- Desai AV, Seif AE, Li Y, Getz KD, Fisher BT, Huang V, Mante A, Aplenc R, Bagatell R. Resource utilization and toxicities after carboplatin/etoposide/melphalan and busulfan/melphalan for autologous stem cell rescue in high-risk neuroblastoma using a national administrative database. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2016;63(5):901-7.
- Aschengrau A, ScD, Janulewicz PA, White RF, Vieira VM, Gallagher LG, Getz KD, Webster TF, Ozonoff DM. Long-term neurotoxic effects of early-life exposure to tetrachloroethylene-contaminated drinking water. Annals of Global Health 2016, doi: doi.org/10.1016/j.aogh.2016. 01.013, in press.
- Getz KD, Werler MM, Anderka MT, Jick SS. Maternal prepregnancy body mass index and autism spectrum disorders among offspring: a population-based case-control study. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 2016, in press.
- Getz KD, Werler MM, Mitchell AA. Maternal decongestant use and risk of late term vaginal bleeding in a population-based cohort. The Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, June 23, 2010.
- Getz KD, Anderka M, Werler MM, Case A. Interpregnancy interval and adverse pregnancy outcomes. The National Birth Defects Prevention Study Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, January 26, 2011.
- Perinatal Epidemiology, Fall 2009
- Statistical Methods for Epidemiology, Fall 2009
- Generalized Linear Models, Spring 2010
- Logistic Regression and Survival Analyses, Spring 2010
- Statistical Genetics, Fall 2010
- Embryology, Teratology and Prenatal Genetics, Fall 2010
- Correlated Data Analysis, Spring 2011
- Advanced Epidemiology Seminar: Study Design Issues, Spring 2011